How can I check to see if my network card went bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViridianNaught

Beta member
Hey guys, I've been using an integrated network card(an nForce Network Controller) for awhile now, that came with a gateway I bought. The reason I feel like it might have been bad is because every single time I boot up my computer, my internet goes completely bad. Whereas when the computer is powered down, it's perfectly fine. I've tested this over the course of a week or so and I know that my computer is the culprit.

Some people have made mention of the possibility of a bandwidth hogging virus, but I remain somewhat unconvinced, as I have run several scans (Such as Spybot S&D, AVG, Malware Bytes and the like.), and none of them have yielded any results.

I'd really like to find the answer sometime soon, so I can decide if I need to reformat my harddrive, or if I need a new network card.

Is the adapter showing up in Device Manager? It could be a driver conflict with another component.

You should carefully run thru the guide at Spyware Asylum just to be sure.

I say you should try to ping it using loop back go to cmd and do ping 127.0.0.1 just to make sure the card is even still functioning.

EDIT:
Now that I think of it, a bad network card of course would not bog down a network. Well for the **** of it go ahead and ping the network card if its successful I say just do a reinstall of the OS. Make life simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom