Cooling down the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingdings

Solid State Member
ive worked out the issue for my constant freezing during games due to the temp on my GPU..

It's average temp atm is 50-60 with the side of my case taken off, in games it bumps up beyond 80 which is when problems start to occur.. what do you recommend i buy to keep the system running at a stable temp?

Also, is it true that leaving the case open will cause the overall temp to increase?.

thanks.

no it causes the overall temperature to decrease unless your keeping your computer in direct light from the sun. You could get a huge fan that is external like an office fan and point that directly at the open side other then that turning down your overall room temperature buying a new and better case buying new and better fans (do you still have your stock fans??? if you do I would swap those first) . graphics cards often run the hottest mine runs at 80 stable and 90 max I have rubbish airflow in my case though so I am going to buy some new fans soon.

Matt

What kind of case do you have, and how many fans??

Even in my SHUTTLE Small form factor case with TERRIBLE airflow, my MAX temps on the card are in the 75* range... they are normally around 60*

If he has an 8800.. they are kind of known to run hot... I have a P180 with 4 120mm fans.. and my computer room is always at about 10-15 degrees and my 8800 still manages to hit high 70's low 80's in demanding games.

My card is a 6600GT and my Case is some cheapo one i bought because i overblew the budget, with my case open it runs on average 50-60 and goes upto 80 in games, the problem is when it hits 80ish the newer games i play (Prey, BF2, etc.) start having wierd problems like the ground, models, weapons, textures, etc. start flickering a green colour, after some time it leads to freezing and pauses, so if i see this green flicker i gotta exit to the menu and wait a minute for it to cool down...

ill try get a Frap recording in prey of the green flicker.

leaving the case off decreases the overall temperature, but increases local temps, such as on the CPU. I'd just rig another fan to blow across your GPU.

here's a short vid of the green flicker.. can be extremely annoying..

Green_flicker - FileFront.com

funny thing about it is that fraps actually decreases the amount of flickering because it drops the framerate by a huge amount putting less stress on the card i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom