Computer Turning on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

syn415

Solid State Member
So for the past week now I have been trying to get my computer to work but to no avail. The problem is everytime I go to turn it on it turns on and then off after 5 seconds. Everything turns on, all the fans, the drives, PSU. I recently bought a new PSU and mobo. Now before on the old mobo the screen would turn on and I could see the bios and then vista loading before it turned off. Now with the new mobo it stays on the same amount of time but nothing shows on the screen anymore (If that makes any difference.) Here are my specs

ASROCK 4coredual-VSTA AGP MOBO
Pentium D 935 3.2ghz CPU
Wintec ampx 1GB (2x512) PC2 6400 RAM
XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB AGP VCARD
Creative Audigy SE SCARD
Seagate 160 GB 7200rpm SATA HD
Thermaltake tsunami dream case
Cool Master 500W PSU

Now before all this I was happily playing cs 1.6 on this comp on vista. It worked well for about a year and then one day just turned off by itself while I was on my desktop. Now it will only turn on for 5 seconds when I turn the power supply switch off then on and try and turn the computer on. After that it will only turn on for a second then turn off blank screen. Any ideas?? I WANNA PLAY CS!!

Well I have a clear side case so I can see all the fans and all 3 start up as well as the cpu fan and the video card fan.

I really sounds like it's a power issue, it's either a knackered PSU or the PSU is not giving you enough juice...have you added any more hardware recently that would require more power?

Try this PSU calculator to see if your PSU is giving you enough power: Newegg - Power Supply Calculator

With the components the calculator says I need 396w but thats not including the case which has LEDs and 3 fans apart from that. So does that mean I should step up to 600w PSU or higher?

Well you have a 500W PSU, as originally stated, so you have ample power.

Next could possily be a faulty connection inside somewhere, that's probably you're next thing to look at.

EDIT: Also possible is your power cable...a fuse possibly?

Appreciate the pics, but hard to tell if everything is plugged in securely...nice rig by the way.

Anyhoo, i'm presuming you've checked all the connections? If all secure then can you try a different power lead?

Running out of ideas now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom