Computer stuck in infinite restart loop.

trisconway

Beta member
Hi guys,

Been having this problem for a couple of days and am pretty desperate for some help!

Basically after about 24 hours of inactivity I turned my system on. All the fans, led's etc fire up and the caps lock, num lock andscroll lock led's on my keyboard flash, so signal is getting to that as well. However after about 5 seconds, before anything appears on the monitor the computer will power down. Then a few seconds after this it powers up again as if restarting itself and this cycle continues infinitely.

The first night it did this after trying my ram in different slots, different HDD and a power cycle I did finally manage to get it to boot and it came up with a screen stating:

enabling unleashing mode failed
Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load default values and continue

I pressed F2 and the computer functioned fine for the rest of the evening. However when I turned it on the next day it was back to the original issue and now nothing would make it boot. I have since tried a new PSU but that hasnt fixed the issue.

If anyone could shed any light on this I would be massively appreciative!

Cheers,

Tris

I had a problem like this when I built a computer for someone. The specs were:
Asus z68 motherboard of some kind
Intel i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengeance ram
ATI Gigabyte 6850 1GB
Some kind of 500GBHDD
Cooler Master HAF 912 case
Corsair 650 Watt PSU
What are your specs? It might have something to do with a certain kind of part. I couldn't figure out exactly what was causing it but placing the whole PC on top of a plastic sheet (what the motherboard came in) fixed the problem.
Check to make sure there are no exposed wires or connector ends with exposed metal that's shorting anything out. When I had that issue, I had checked everything several times and never found anything but it might be different for you.

Last edited:
Spec is as follows:

Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz ram
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB
Western Digital 500gb HDD
Antec 900 Case

I have had the computer up and running for 2 and a half years so unfortunately dont have the plastic the motherboard came in haha. Might be able to find something similar though! Thanks for the reply I will give it a go.

Try resetting the BIOS.

Shutdown computer > unplug computer from power > remove the silver coin battery from the motherboard for about 30 seconds > reinsert battery > plug computer back in > try starting the computer back up.

If that doesn't work, try this:
Also, try booting off of the basic components. Remove all HDD's, PCI cards, optical drives, etc. Only keep 1 stick of RAM, CPU, GPU (or onboard if your motherboard supports it). See if you can boot up that way as well.

Ok unfortunately the cardboard/plastic trick didnt work but I had to use a bin liner as thats all that was in the house haha.

I removed the silver coin battery for 30 seconds as you suggested carnageX and my computer has now booted! Putting the time/date back into the bios now.. hopefully this will be the end of it!

Massive thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:
Ok unfortunately the cardboard/plastic trick didnt work but I had to use a bin liner as thats all that was in the house haha.

I removed the silver coin battery for 30 seconds as you suggested carnageX and my computer has now booted! Putting the time/date back into the bios now.. hopefully this will be the end of it!

Massive thanks for your help guys!

No problem, glad to help.

If it happens again, then it may be another problem. Could try updating your BIOS (or checking to see if there is an update and what the update changelog is).

if it continues happening, then try the other thing I suggested (basic components).

Back
Top Bottom