Computer Monitor isn't working with HDMI cable
The quick recap: Recently bought new desktop and monitor. The monitor has inputs for VGA, DVI, and HDMI. Desktop has HDMI slot as well. Have been using VGA cable for last two weeks. Everything is fine. Received my HDMI cable and hooked computer/monitor up to it. Doesn't work.
When I switch to the HDMI selection on the monitor, all I see is the desktop background. I can see my mouse. I can't see any of my icons. I can't see the taskbar or anything else. When I right click, I can see the choices. I can even create a new shortcut and see it. But can't see anything else. When I hit ctrl, alt, delete, the screen just goes black. When I switch back to VGA, everything is fine again.
What gives? Does my system not support HDMI? Graphics card? Or am I missing something with the settings? Confused......
Acer« AM3400-U2502 Desktop PC
* AMD Athlon™ II X2 Dual-Core 215 processor (2.70GHz)
* 4GB installed memory
* 640GB hard drive
* 16X DVD˝R/RW SuperMulti Drive
* Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader
* Inlcudes USB Keyboard and Optical Mouse
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* High-Def Audio with 5.1-Channel Surround Sound Support
* Integrated ATI Radeon HD4250 Graphics Solution
* 1 - HDMI Port
ASUS VH236H [Monitor] (23.4"vis)