Computer acting like it's running low on RAM?

PortalBreaker

Beta member
Computer acting like it's running low on RAM?

Hi.

I have this delicate issue where my computer has suddenly started acting like it's constantly running out of RAM/memory.
I have really tried to recognize a pattern to its behavior, but I really cannot find it.
Usually it happens when I use heavy programs, but not always.
It's hard to explain, let me give an example.
Let's say I launch a game through Steam… Dota 2 for example. This is rather RAM heavy obviously, so I guess it's a good start.
Firstly, the game will launch and everything will work fine. Not long after, the game will freeze completely, as if my RAM capacity was breached.
A few seconds later, my entire PC will freeze. It will un-freeze after 3-6 minutes usually, but will go back to frozen right after.
What is funny however is that if I have Skype or Discord open in the background when it freezes, I can still hear and speak with people, as the program itself works all fine.
… Unless I start clicking around and hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL, then everything crashes completely.
Now, this can also happen whenever I just browse using Chrome.
Usually it starts with my internet connecting ending, and then my computer freezing up.
It can also happen whenever I play a 1080p movie using VLC.
Man… I don't know why it has started acting like this…
And yes, that's the thing, this only started happening a few months back, and I have literally no idea why. I even bought a brand new SSD and more RAM, but to no avail.
It sucks a lot that I just cannot pin point the problem…
It's impossible for me alone to do this, no matter how many hours I've tried figuring it out.
So please, if anything comes to mind, help me out here.
I would hate to spend $100 just for someone to look at it and go "Oh your CPU is busted" or something like that.

I will add a Speccy link here so you all can view my rig.
Thanks!!!

SPECCY: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qQOwSyba3uqPaNyQKSMxRae

What power supply do you have specifically?

How do you have 12GB of RAM in Dual Channel?

Do you have adequate cooling around your VRM's? Your CPU can be a bit demanding with power consumption, and can cause some strange issues, especially on an older board.

Lastly, update all your system drivers if possible to see if that resolves the conflict... Looks like there might be an updated GPU driver available for you.

What are your temps like when you're gaming? If you have no actual idea, please download and run HWMonitor from https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and check it out once in a while, while gaming, and report the results to us.

Thanks for your reply.

PSU is of some age, 2013 I believe, called Corsair RM750, 750W PSU

I have 2x4GB sticks and 2x2GB sticks, hence the 12GB.
I talked to the provider considering mixing RAM sticks, but he didn't think it would have any effect. Might have been wrong?

Yes, everything is up to date. I always update GPU drivers, and everything else for that matter, didn't fix my issue unfortunately.

Temps are solid at 55-70, maxed out at 76 when stress testing with Furmark.
Having Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU cooler mounted on core, and a total of five case fans. Hasn't been an issue before, though maybe PSU has aged a bit?

Also, here are my voltages when using HWiNFO64 if it can provide any support;
3 volts
Current: 3.312 Min: 3.280 Max: 3.328

5 volts
Current: 4.961 Min: 4.961 Max: 5.003

12 volts
Current: 11.968 Min: 11.880 Max: 11.968

Hope your happy with response.

Last edited:
Mixing RAM isn't always best, but an easy way to test to see if it's at least stable is to run Memtest86 a few times to make sure there are no errors.

I would also see if running just 2x4GB sticks works OK, when doing this you may want to close out of any un-needed applications... I run on 8GB just fine most times playing more demanding games, but, it's certainly not enjoyable. So I highly doubt you have a shortage of RAM unless you're running a ton of programs at once. Usually you will start getting Virtual Memory errors before a system will flat out crash.

The voltages on the PSU look OK, but at that age it may be having difficulties providing a clean supply of power. Best to test the cheaper things first (such as RAM...).

Ok cheers man, I will remove the lower 2x2GB sticks and keep the 2x4GB sticks.
Hopefully this will have an effect.
If of no use, I will run Memtest with all 4 RAMS in place, and then with only the 4GB's.
Will reply once done

Behaving perfectly as of now after removing the 2x2GB sticks, leave only the 2x4GB in.
If it suddenly goes sour, I will not hesitate to contact you again.
You have my gratitude, thank you :)

The different sticks are going to have different timings, and Phenom 2 wasn't always happy with running 4 sticks of RAM.

What you need to do is set the speed to match the slowest kit, and match the timings to the kit with the loosest timings. Then you will need to raise the voltage to the IMC a tad and it will all be smooth again.
Another problem you could be having is mixing low voltage newer DDR3 with older higher voltage DDR3. This will always cause issues unless the newer DDR3 can handle the higher voltage.

Back
Top Bottom