Is a cheap hard drive messing up my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellasweet

Baseband Member
Hi all, I've been posting on here a lot about problems I've been having. I'll keep this short and give you the summary of what's been happening:

I would get system 32 error messages and pretty soon windows would not even start. I reformatted and reinstalled windowsXP. I have done this THREE times because I kept getting system32 corrupt or missing messages, corrupted files messages and some file called mom.exe was missing. Even after a clean install and a hard drive reformat. The last time this happened was when I had just reinstalled XP for the third time and didnt even have enough time to put anything on my hd other than XP, a game, and the normal mobo/vid card/monitor drivers I had to replace.

So my questions are:

1.Can maloware/spyware/viruses survive a hard drive reformat?

and

2. Can a cheap hard drive do this sort of thing to your system? ( I bought a seagate 250 gig HD at circuit city for $80 on sale)

hmm this seems strange but did you try a full format? this erases everything that's on it and most likely not be recoverable unlike quick format. also does the bios show the hard disk correctly? any wrong data shown in bios or during installation? even if there are any virus on the hard disk it will still be wiped out so only thing thats left is that if the hard disk is faulty or not. might have to rma for a new hard drive for that if its still new if not :( buy a new hard drive.

Darik's Boot and Nuke (Hard Drive Disk Wipe)
use this to wipe the drive.

Support - Downloads and Utilities
use this to test the drive.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Use this to test your memory.

CDCheck - CD checking and recovery software
Use this to test your CD.

Then Reinstall windows. If you're still having problems, I haven't a clue. Oh and yes a defective hard drive can cause the problem, which is why you run DFT to test it. Also your HDD itself should have come with diagnostic tools too. Seagate's aren't cheap drives either, They're one of the best (THE best in my opinion.) Though the new seagate: Free Agent's have me worried since they are maxtors...

Could be your cheap HD. Yesterday went to get a Maxtor 300gb from Fry's Electronics, plugged it in and when I was trying to install my Windows SP2, it would just freeze 3/4 of the way done. Went to return it and bought a OB: Seagate 300gb SATA from Fry's Electronics and it booted up normally.

hmm this seems strange but did you try a full format? this erases everything that's on it and most likely not be recoverable unlike quick format. also does the bios show the hard disk correctly? any wrong data shown in bios or during installation? even if there are any virus on the hard disk it will still be wiped out so only thing thats left is that if the hard disk is faulty or not. might have to rma for a new hard drive for that if its still new if not :( buy a new hard drive.

Yeah I'm sure I did a full format. Everything installed correctly with no hicups.

Sometimes when I reboot, it will say "boot disk has been changed" or something to that affect. I dont even touch my computer or monkey around with it so I dont know where these errors come from.

I ran the CD check and these are the results on my hard drive:

Info
- date: 8/1/2007
- process: Check
- source: C:\
- source volume label:

Basic statistics
- time elapsed: 00:15:48
- overall transfer [kB/s]: 16,440
- folders processed: 3871
- files processed: 39098
- source bytes read: 14.8 GB (15,965,566,607 bytes)
- source average transfer [kB/s]: 36,379
- source clean transfer [kB/s]: 37,756

Errors
- errors: 29
- warnings: 543
- other: 28

Seagate SeaTools desktop
Seagate SeaTools entreprise

use either one and run it on system boot to find any bad sectors

Darik's Boot and Nuke (Hard Drive Disk Wipe)
use this to wipe the drive.

Support - Downloads and Utilities
use this to test the drive.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Use this to test your memory.

CDCheck - CD checking and recovery software
Use this to test your CD.

Then Reinstall windows. If you're still having problems, I haven't a clue. Oh and yes a defective hard drive can cause the problem, which is why you run DFT to test it. Also your HDD itself should have come with diagnostic tools too. Seagate's aren't cheap drives either, They're one of the best (THE best in my opinion.) Though the new seagate: Free Agent's have me worried since they are maxtors...

How do I use the disk wipe? I download it but it wont install. it says to install a boot disk or something. I cant figure it out. Help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom