Carrying a case?

SSD drives can take a lot of G force before it gets damaged, not true with platter drives even if they are secured inside the case.

In all modern drives when shut down the head retracts so no damage can be done to the drive itself unless you drop it or something stupid like that. Simply moving your computer around with a HDD wont damage it at all.

In all modern drives when shut down the head retracts so no damage can be done to the drive itself unless you drop it or something stupid like that. Simply moving your computer around with a HDD wont damage it at all.
Actually....
I was referring to the pc being in the trunk (boot) and going over speed bumps

Same difference. Your car would suffer suspension damage by hitting the speed curb fast enough to actually damage the drive. In newer drives the head retracts so the tips aren't anywhere near the platters to cause damage during transport. They just can't take as many Gs as an SSD can due to actually having moving parts inside that can get damaged. Like I was saying though, you have to seriously do something bad to the drive for that to happen or have a drive that is partially faulty.

Okay thanks a lot guys, i think i will give it the passenger seat when moving it around. I doubt it would even fit in the boot, especially if i have other stuff with me too...

I agree with PP, back seat, laying flat if possible, and make sure it has something to keep it from moving too much. Most machines are fine to tote around daily, it's when you have the MASSIVE heavy heatsinks that usually don't fit inside a standard sized case due to height that you have to be cautious about, but even those are fine as long as the motherboard is laying in a flat position instead of standing up.

Back
Top Bottom