Audio Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stunner1127

Beta member
First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to look at this issue. By no means am I an expert, but I do know my way around a computer and have absolutely no idea where to go next.

This is likely more information than is needed, but I just wanted to make sure all my bases are covered.
I have a custom built PC (built and set up with the help of a friend who isn't available and doesn't remember what we did either, approx 7 months ago).
Motherboard: nVidia GForce 4 SLI (Model# GA-K8N-SLI)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
RAM: 1GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon 1300XT Pro (PCI-E)

I needed to start fresh and reinstall windows. However, my audio never came back (I'm using the onboard audio on the nVidia GForce 4 SLI). I ran the utility disk that came with the motherboard as well as for my graphics card and any other products that had utility disks (wireless keyboard, webcam, etc.). I've run all the windows updates right down to the very last custom update. This is what started the challenge. The following are the steps I have already taken.

-Went to device manager (there is yellow question mark for the Multimedia control adapter), and tried to have windows search for it - no luck.
-Confirmed in the control panel that I had no audio device installed.
-Went to nVidia's website and downloaded the drivers associated with my mobo. Ran those with no results.
-Went to drivermagic.com, a website that allows me to download a program that sends my computers info to a database and sends me links to needed drivers. Except it said my 'Sounds and audio device' is 'unknown'
-Went into BIOS (a recommendation I read with other audio issues in another forum) and found my audio setting. The recommendation was to take it off of auto and put it on 'enable', but that option isn't available in my BIOS, so I left it on 'auto'.
-Downloaded the latest version of Realtek AC97 Audio - 3.49_NoJackSense (I recognize the icon so I know we somehow got a version of this to work with my audio before). Ran the setup, checked device manager, tried letting windows find it, to no avail. Went into properties myself and set it to the RealTek AC97 Audio and successfully got rid of the question mark. Still no sound, not even system sounds).

This is where I'm at right now and have no clue where to go from here. Nothing seems capable of 'automatically' discovering what audio drivers I need and I can't seem to guide it to a right driver either. I know I shouldn't have to open up the PC and adjust the hardware b/c my audio worked fine before. If anyone at all has any clue of where to go from here or an idea that might help, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks again for taking the time to read this!!

Well it sounds like you did about everything that you can do. Why don't you try to reset your bios to default and try that. Who knows.... If you cant get it to work just buy a sound card for $30.00 and call it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom