Anyone know how to use a Serial port bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinorMIx

Solid State Member
I'm having trouble figuring out where to putting this thing onto my motherboard. Can't find anything that fits into it. I did try jamming it in and then it fit just perfect but didn't work. Any one know where it goes?

Bracket_Serial.jpg

Here's an exact pic

To quickly sum it up, the problem is the board doesn't support that connector. :)

You have a socket for a 1394a connector on the motherboard (which is probably what you're plugging the serial connector into) but that's for a Firewire port not a serial port.

Guessing I should get another motherboard right? Can you suggest one? Or someone...

Without knowing anything about the rest of your system it'd be impossible to give a recommendation. I'd need to know your CPU model, whether you have SATA or IDE hard drives, what kind of ram you have, etc

Most new motherboards do not have any onboard serial ports. If you need serial ports I'd recommend a PCI Express x1 to serial port card. I got a $30 one from Rosewill that works nicely on Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux and it has 2 ports. I don't think Newegg has it anymore though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom