Would Triple Channel RAM work on dual channel MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
I found a pretty good deal on this RAm:

DDR3 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz C7 CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3C1600C7

I suspect it is triple channel.

Would it even work on this motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-P55A-ud3?

And this CPU:

Intel i5-750

Any accurate info would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Soar

Yes, it'd work. But why would you want to do that? You could get a dual channel set for cheaper

Thanks for the reply! Well, I found a pretty good deal on both sets of RAM but it appears the tri-channel is considerably less per GB. What would you do:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM. I found this set of 4gb of RAm for $99.99.

Then I found this set or RAM:

DDR3 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz C7 CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 . This set of RAM is going for $139.99.

So, which is the better deal and why?

Can you help me on this guys?

Thanks,

Soar

if you use all 3 sticks, they'll run in single channel. if you use 2 of the 3, they'll run in dual channel.

Thanks Muffin Man. Ok, is there a great difference between single and dual channel [I have a feeling there is a huge difference]!

And what if I use 4 sticks of the trichannel ram? Would I still be limited to single channel?

Soar

Double Channel is significantly faster than Single Channel.

You can't buy (4) sticks of Triple Channel Memory, it only comes in sets of three. If you buy a single stick separately then it either hasn't been tested for compatibility or it failed the testing for multi-channel use.

This is a Great Deal on a Dual-Channel Kit. It's a 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 with very fast latencies 7-7-7-24. It has free shipping and after a $15 rebate it's only $109.99
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600LV4GK

Triple channel memory just means you're buying 3 sticks. A single stick of memory doesn't have a channel rating, it's just a stick of memory. Double channel happens when you put multiples of 2 sticks (2, 4, 6, etc) in your build, triple channel happens with multiples of 3 (3 or 6). You could buy the set of 3 and just use 2 sticks to get double channel support, but if you found another identical stick later and put all 4 in then it would still be double channel, if you put in 3 it would drop to single channel.

Double Channel is significantly faster than Single Channel.

You can't buy (4) sticks of Triple Channel Memory, it only comes in sets of three. If you buy a single stick separately then it either hasn't been tested for compatibility or it failed the testing for multi-channel use.

This is a Great Deal on a Dual-Channel Kit. It's a 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 with very fast latencies 7-7-7-24. It has free shipping and after a $15 rebate it's only $109.99
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600LV4GK

Slay, Thanks for the info. I had no clue as to the difference between Dual and Triple channel and now you've removed my ignorance and given me a great education. Thanks for that.

Those OCZ's look cool and the latencies are the best I have seen yet. Unfortunately, I ran out of patience and bought the G.skill's RAM.

Thanks anyway!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom