Will this HD cooler work if I attach it this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

Ok, I have never installed a HD cooler. I am building a computer for work colleagues/friends and it will be used roughly 6 degrees from the equator, with no room A/C. I had a problem with components/hardware burning up and I think it is simply due to the extreme heat, humidity, and poor case ventilation.

I purchased a case that has really nice cooling compared to the last few cases I used. Now I would like to install a hard drive cooler on the hard drive.

I think I installed this thing on the wrong side of the HD [I suspect it is the wrong side because there is a heatsink on this cooler and it does NOT touch the HD.

The instructions are kind of vague, but it appears as if I am suppose to attach this HD cooler so it is flush against the metal jacket of the HD.

I am reluctant to attach the cooler on the metal plate side of the HD because I am not sure what will happen if I take off the star screws on the HD metal plate.

So, I attached this cooler on the other side. I also raised it up with stand offs because I was concerned that the fans might mess up the circuit board on the HD.

As you can obviously see, I have no clue as to if fans create any type of electro-magnetic field or other problems [May I say I suspect it may be a problem]?

Can some knowledgeable person here help me figure this one out?

Thanks,

Soar

PS Oh, I attached a couple of pics to show what I did. And yes, I know, it is a totally cheap HD cooler, but I got it almost free and I am sure it's better than nothin'.

PSS If I remove the star screws from the metal plate side of the HD, do I risk messin' up the HD [Dude, I just finished 2 days and nights of installing the OS, updates, drivers, and software...]

Attachments

• DSC03844.JPG
    DSC03844.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03846.JPG
    DSC03846.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 49
Definitely the right way to do it. Never remove the screws on the top plate of an HDD - if you do, you risk contaminating the clean air in side and causing permanent damage and a physical head crash.

Good call not doing that!

Definitely the right way to do it. Never remove the screws on the top plate of an HDD - if you do, you risk contaminating the clean air in side and causing permanent damage and a physical head crash.

Good call not doing that!

izools,

Thanks for helping me on this....I was surprised no one else responded to my request for help on this...

Well, after waiting more than a day, I did remove 2 of the 6 star screws from the top of the HD. It was easy to see that the holes were not the same diameter as the screws for the cooler, so I replaced the HD star screws. I hope I did not contaminate anything...I only took the screws out for a few seconds, then returned them to their holes.

The instructions that came with the cooler are not that clear and do not show the circuit board on the side of the HD that the cooler attaches.

Through the power of deduction I was able to discover there is no other way to mount the cooler.

THanks for your confirmation on this issue.

Soar

I don't think you damaged the drive by taking just two screws off. There is usually a rubber seal that goes around the entire top piece to seal the inside from dust. As long as you didn't take the middle screw off (it usually holds the spindle that the read/write heads are mounted on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom