What to do? (Processor Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
its whether you want to spend abit and max your current rig out.. so its finished (nothing more you can do)

or..

upgrade straight to new rig.

The thing is a socket 939 opteron would be a rip off to buy now because its almost $150. Just get a AM2 dual core cpu and a decent AM2 motherboard for $150 instead and overclock that. Only thing is that if you do get AM2 you'd need to buy ddr2 ram, btu ram is dirt cheap right now you could get some good quality 2x1gb 800mhz sticks of ram for like 50 bucks now.

If your planning on having your computer last you longer get the opteron since it would cost you a bit more and probably faster, otherwise just get a 4400+ and save your money for an upgrade or whatever you please.

a 4400+ 64? 64 X2? which?

I went from a 3200+ to a 4200+ X2... nice increase. But buy what you can afford. The 4400+ is very nice with double the cache, just good luck finding one. I was on Amazon earlier and they still have a lot of X2 s939 listed.

Since I just skimmed the posts above I might have missed it, but going with 2 gig of RAM in dual channel is the way to go for speed. 1.5 unless it is 2 x 512 and 2 x 256 ain't running dual channel... shoot for 2 x 1 gig.

Another thing that will help your speed is some serious defragging. And I don't mean the defrag that comes in Windows. Grab O&O or Diskkeeper and do some real defragging.

Make sure your system is clean of any malware, clean up the registry, and don't have anything running in the background that doesn't need to be running.

Go with these tips and you can make your current system last for a while yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom