Temps for Q6700 vs. QX6850

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaestro

Baseband Member
My custom-built PC was running a Q6700 with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme heatsink. (The heatsink is irrelevant, but it is rated as one of the best air-cooling solutions out there.) I was getting a CPU temp of 32C at idle. (I don't know what the load temps were.) Next, I upgraded to a QX6850. (I didn't do the work, the OEM did.) Same heatsink, same voltage, no overclocking. Now I'm getting a CPU temp of 46C at idle and 60C at load.

Does the processor (Q6700 vs QX6850) alone explain the big jump in temps? Or is it likely that the heatsink wasn't installed well, and the temps can be lowered by reseating the heatsink? Finally, does anyone think the temps now (46C to 60C) might be harmful to the processor over time or cause processor to decay more quickly?

Thanks.

It is right at the limit of the cpu. I think that something is wrong. At stock settings with that cpu cooler you should be getting better temps. You may need to reseat the heatsink with some quality thermal paste.

Higher temperatures are bound to affect the component life, although seeing as CPUs should last 10years, its not a huge worry unless you are actively damaging the component with very high temperatures.

You could also check that your fan is working properly and getting a good supply of air, and that the heatsink fins aren't clogged with dust (sorry if this is obvious, just making sure).

Did you clean the heatsink contact surface before re-fitting to your new CPU?

Do you know the stepping revision of both CPUs?

This is a brand new custom-built OEM computer. When I received it, MoBo was defective. When they swapped MoBo, I bought a CPU upgrade. I suspect heatsink wasn't cleaned well before reseating.

Should the Q6700 and QX6850 run at the same CPU temps? Or are we talking a few degrees C difference?

Is 60C at load a big problem, such that I should return for reseating heatsink immediately?

the q6700 should run hotter at the same speeds, since its a B3 stepping and the QX6850 is a G0

i'd try to remount the HSF with some MX-2

and on a G0 cpu, intels recommended limit is 71*C. anything after that and you will get CPU throttling

60* on load shouldn't be anything to worry about, but 45* idle does seem a little high, given your cooling... it can't do any harm to reseat the HSF; why not do that? The problem will really arise when you start to overclock things, as those temperatures will go up.

As mgcook says, a good thermal compound is really a must, given the thermalright 120 and the CPU that you are using (if only just to justify the extreme expense!).

Artic MX-2 would be at the top of your list, but Arctic MX-1 and Arctic silver 5 are also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom