SLI/dual monitors question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeseking25

In Runtime
hi. My system with SLI 8800GTs will be here soon but I am wondering how/if I can run dual monitors. Right now, I can only play games on one but I use the second for extra desktop space, internet windows, itunes,etc. There will be 2 DVI ports on each card but how do I plug the monitors in? (ex. both on one card, one on each,etc.)

hi. My system with SLI 8800GTs will be here soon but I am wondering how/if I can run dual monitors. Right now, I can only play games on one but I use the second for extra desktop space, internet windows, itunes,etc. There will be 2 DVI ports on each card but how do I plug the monitors in? (ex. both on one card, one on each,etc.)

I don't think SLI supports dual monitors at all.

.... you got a total of 4 dvi ports so thats a good 4 moniters.

Of course since each moniter is using one dvi port, you won't have the performance of sli on each one.

yeah i woulda figured itd run 4 monitors lol .. ; ; I never did any research on it. Was just going to assume. I have a bad habit of that...

edit~ nvm started reading ^^ you can't really.

found this on overclock.net
overclock.net guy said:
"
No you cant.
Probably due to how SLI works. The same monitor data is loaded into both card's frame buffer. Then each card does their own processing on the image and returns it. Managing another set of monitor data and processing it was probably too hard. It is possible to run a second monitor with a NON-nVidia card currently. However, your motherboard must be able to support this function. The reason is nVidia's current drivers can only recognize one type of nVidia card at time.

Nvidia has announced that it is working on running another Nvidia card to power a second monitor. However, the drivers that allow this has not been released yet. In this set up, two SLI cards would run one monitor and another Nvidia card would power the second monitor normally. This is more for DualView or Clone Mode. You need a 680i chipset though and again drivers are not out yet.

Nvidia's dual-display SLI implementation is bonkers - The INQUIRER
"

of course, but I'm using a 6600GT and a cheap PCI videocard. Depending on what i'm doing, its no strain for the old matrox crap.

anyways you wouldn't need sli performance on each moniter for gaming anyway. No game out there uses 2 moniters+ would be awesome if they did though.

Wikipedia said:
Currently, SLI works only with a single monitor. When switching to multi-GPU SLI mode, Dualview gets disabled under Windows[14], respectively TwinView and multiple screens get disabled under Linux.

SLI does not support more than one monitor... unless Wikipedia is out of date... which is quite possible.

of course, but I'm using a 6600GT and a cheap PCI videocard. Depending on what i'm doing, its no strain for the old matrox crap.

anyways you wouldn't need sli performance on each moniter for gaming anyway. No game out there uses 2 moniters+ would be awesome if they did though.

Supreme commander uses two monitors, as well as world in conflict.

In the future when I switch to SLI 9 series if this hasnt been resolved then I can always just switch off sli to play those two XD

Another overclock.net guy said:
There is a simple script you can build and run to switch SLi on and off quickly...

Here is what you do:

1) Open notepad
2) Copy the following in:

Option Explicit

Dim WshShell
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' Open the SLI Mutil-GPU applet.
WshShell.Run("rundll32.exe nvcpl.dll,LaunchMultiGpuApplet")
' On slower machines this Sleep value may need to be increased.
WScript.Sleep(500)

' Send the keystrokes to change the mode.
WshShell.SendKeys("%E")
WshShell.SendKeys("{ENTER}")
WScript.Sleep(500)
WshShell.SendKeys("{ENTER}")

WScript.Quit(0)

3) Save the file as "SwitchSLI.vbs"
Note: Be sure to change the drop down box from *.txt to All Files.
4) Run.

And it works!

Also see: This Thread!

Thats as easy as pie.

my systems gonna be fast...but can you make a finished script i can just copy and paste? cause im pretty clueless about this sorta stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom