SATA Raid and PATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuaziBee

Daemon Poster
My question is two fold: I want to RAID 0 2 SATA HDD's and have 1 ATA HDD. Will my mobo just assume that whats in the ATA primary slot is going to be the C: drive and is that configurable to point to the raided HDD's? Also, for onboard SATA raid ports, can I just plug one hard drive into a port and have it read without having to pair it with another? I can sum that second question up by asking if onboard SATA raid configurations are dedicated RAID or can they support single drives.

When installing sata drives in an array two drives are seen as one logical drive. The option to choose between array or as individual drives is determined by the bios setting. With RAID ide the same thing there where one drive mirrors the other. With each drive partitioned and formatted separately they would otherwise be seen as different logical drives in Windows. You can run just one or two and more if the board has ports for a secondary or third array and they still can be seen as individual drives. The C drive is where Windows or the OS is installed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom