Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
I'm stupid, I'll admit it right now, but I know for the most part that a raid is basically done before the installation of a operating system. so, if I want to partition one hard drive before I set up my raid, I can do that correct?

Second questions, I build a raid, consist of 3 hard drives in a RAID 4. Once everything is essentially in place, can I add another hard drive to my existing raid?

Say I get a 4th drive of the same size or greater, will i be able to add to the same working raid I have with the other hard drives and distribute the space evenly? So If I have 576 partitioned in the raid, could I increase it with another drive to like 650?

From what i have learned about RAID, the array storage space is determined by the lowest capacity drive. so for example, if you had 2 250GB drives and added a 320GB, it would only use 250Gb of that drive.

Alright, So I can only add another hard drive of the exact capacity? So instead of 2 400's and I add a 750, I would have to add another 400.

I'm pretty sure you can add the 750gb, but it would only register it as a 400gb, and ignore the extra 350GB, So it would be a waste of money

Wow, thats pretty sick. Now I just know when I want to upgrade my terabyte, I can partition the existing 400gb I buy into the existing two partitions of 576 and 576

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom