PSU calculator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I think I have a good idea of what I will have.

Abit AN9 32X Socket AM2
AMD 64 X2 6000 or 6400
GeForce 8800GT 512MB
2GB of OCZ RAM
SATA HDD, 300+ GB, 7200 RPM, 8 or 16MB cache
DVD reader, IDE
CD/DVD durner, IDE

media reader (mem card, USB, ear phone etc. in front of case) if case doesn't have one

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Thanks.

Any idea you are going with AMD? Your not big into overclocking things and getting HUGE value?

Either way with that CPU it won't overclock very high meaning it wont take many watts....so a Corsair 450VX would work I bet. I would just get a Rosewill RP550

If it gives 12 volts DC, then how does an 8800GT consume 115-120 volts? (as you stated earlier)

Oh, and sorry for partially hijacking your thread, Mr. LL!

Because it fires amps of 12 watts to the 8800GT. If it has to supply a total of 120 watts to the card then that means it must use 10 of the available amps on the rail to do so.....120/12=10 it's not rocket science >.<

Because it fires amps of 12 watts to the 8800GT. If it has to supply a total of 120 watts to the card then that means it must use 10 of the available amps on the rail to do so.....120/12=10 it's not rocket science >.<

Ah, that's where I was confused. You said 120 volts, not watts.

... and then when I asked you how a 12v rail supplies 120v, you said you weren't the one that named it.

.........i dont even know what u guys r talking about lol.

PSUs r still really hard for me to understand. If i have time, ill check it out on wikipedia starting with the word: watts :p.

Watt is just a power rating and it equals Volts*Amps

For example a video card that drains 20amps running on 12v will consume 20*12 or 240 watts of energy.

This also represents heat energy.... 1 watt = 1 joule per second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom