Overclocking the q6600 on the P35 DS3R

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
So I finally got a tuniq tower and replaced my stock HSF. I was looking at the bios and found that the p35 DS3R mobo reports the normal CPU vcore as 1.2875 V ( this the stock q6600 voltage? ). What I don't understand is there is a FSB Overvoltage control and a CPU voltage control, which one do I have to boost up ( or boost down people are saying ) to get an overclock from 2.4 to 2.7 ghz. Also whats the (G) Multi Overvoltage control do?

Lastly Im guessing the bus number is labeled as CPU Host frequency (mhz ) is the number I have to change to get the overclock. Is there a program free program out there that I can use to test the stability of my system after the overclock?

ADDED: Wow overclocking is a lot more confusing then I thought. I just realized I might have to change my FSB:DRAM ratios if I bump up the FSB. I have 2 gigs of ddr800 ram and my system is default to set at 2:3. Can someone explain what this means to me and what I should change it too?

You can use these to test for stability.
Prime95 or Stress Prime 2004 Orthos Edition

Ok i'm going to save you a LOT of headache. When you first get into the bios, press ctrl-f1. This will open up the extra options in the bios. Next, set the memory frequency to 2.0, you might think its not there, but it is, its just in the wrong order. It goes 2.5 > 3.0 > 2.0. This will set your memory to run synchronous with your FSB. Next set the voltages to this.
CPU = 1.35v
FSB = +.1V
Memory = +.2V
Save your settings, reboot and keep an eye on temps. Keep in mind all of these settings assume you have a G0 stepping version of the q6600. If so, you should be able to run 3.6ghz at these settings. BUT if you want orthos/prime stability, you are going to have to boost the voltage a bit more. If you have any other questions shoot me a pm.
FYI i just replaced my ds3r with the 680i board for SLI so i have 3 months experience playing with the ds3r :p

Ok i'm going to save you a LOT of headache. When you first get into the bios, press ctrl-f1. This will open up the extra options in the bios. Next, set the memory frequency to 2.0, you might think its not there, but it is, its just in the wrong order. It goes 2.5 > 3.0 > 2.0. This will set your memory to run synchronous with your FSB. Next set the voltages to this.
CPU = 1.35v
FSB = +.1V
Memory = +.2V
Save your settings, reboot and keep an eye on temps. Keep in mind all of these settings assume you have a G0 stepping version of the q6600. If so, you should be able to run 3.6ghz at these settings. BUT if you want orthos/prime stability, you are going to have to boost the voltage a bit more. If you have any other questions shoot me a pm.
FYI i just replaced my ds3r with the 680i board for SLI so i have 3 months experience playing with the ds3r :p

what does all that stuff do thought? No one seems to be answering my questions but rather just telling me to do this and that, I'm only interested in doing a minor overclock not a full blown 3.6 ghz overclock.

if your worrying about damaging your cpu....don't....because if you stay below 65 C on max load its all good

Yes but I would still like to know all the stuff I'm changing around with and what it does for future reference. Like why do they have a seperate FSB overvoltage control etc etc

also I noticed some people opt for a higher bus speed and a lower multiplier , which is better and whats the differance?

when u change the voltage it giving ur cpu more power, thats why it gets hotter. then when u change the fsb it makes ur cpu faster by makin it sendin data quicker. u should unlink ur ram from ur fsb some the ram doesnt o/c with the fsb.

ok... FSB x Multiplier = Speed

266 x 9 = 2394mhz (or 2.4ghz)

by increasing the FSB... you will in turn increase the speed... because the higher number x 9 will result in a higher speed... thats the basics of it..

the Voltage is the Power given to the CPU.. that in turn usually determines your temps.. that is what causes damage because people go overboard and go up way too much..

some people lower their multipliers because they can't get to their goal of overclocking (usually an FSB Wall)... hence dropping the multiplier can give stability when people want to hit their goal......
higher FSB and lower multiplier give a little bit better performance.. but its not noticable...

CPU = 1.35v
FSB = +.1V
Memory = +.2V

The CPU voltage or better known as the "Vcore" is the main voltage of your CPU. This is what gives more juice to your CPU to let it overclock higher, but at the same times adds a great increase in power consumption. As long as temps are safe, the Vcore on the next chips is safe until around 1.55 I would suggest. Anything higher, even if temps are low will slowly deteriorate the chip faster I would think. However on a Quad even with a Tuniq there is no way you will have safe temps at those volts.

The FSB voltage is a very weird option...i can't even explain it well myself other than to tell you to try all the different voltage options to see which offers the best stability.

The Northbridge/Southbridge voltage increases voltage on the NB/SB chips to offer stability on very high overclocks...most of the time on the new P35 boards unless you are racking up a very high overclock you won't have to touch it, however it never hurts to add a +1 for extra stability is what I always do.

The RAM(memory as he said) voltage basically is self-explanatory. It adds extra voltage to your ram from the standard to increase the ram's overclockability, it will also help you get tighter timings. Find out what the standard voltage of your ram is and add however many to get to 2.1v which is mostly everyones safe amount.

Those are the basics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom