A newb story: Buying is done...time to build

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol...Phenom are the new processors from AMD, coming out in a few months. There will be the dual core Phenom X2, and the quad core Phenom X4. And they are backwards compatible with your motherboard.

lol...Phenom are the new processors from AMD, coming out in a few months. There will be the dual core Phenom X2, and the quad core Phenom X4. And they are backwards compatible with your motherboard.

The backwards compatible part is such a HUGE advantage for AMD. People will be so much more likely to buy it when they dont have to get a new motherboard which could mean new RAM and blah blah blah money money money. AMD is really gonna get a jump from this.

Take for instance my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe it is limited at the first revision of Sata which is limited at 150 so yea I would need to leave the jumper on for 150 operation so it would detect it.

I always welcome good news...thanks. I'll wait and see what you guys around here have to say about it's performance once it's out and running....and we'll see from there.

Ok...life update: DVDRW is in, as is the HD.

CPU question, I've installed it but just as I went to apply the paste I noticed that the CPU arctic 64 cooler comes with a thin layer of paste already on it....is it recommended that I add my paste to the mix? leave it how it is without paste? or remove the manufacturer paste and add the AS5 instead?

[edit]Question 2: the power connectors on case fans for the antec 900 have both female and male ends to them...can they be connected in series (to each other) or must I use a separate supply connection from the PSU for each? There are plenty of connections on the PSU but it would make the case a lot cleaner if I can link them all to each other and then use only one supply.[/edit]

Just use the thermal pad, that's already on the heatsink. It's the MX-1 pad, and that's better than the AS5 paste.

You can link case fans together, but not too much. 2-3 linked together, is good enough. I never link more than 2 together in the same chain.

Live update:

Ok...trucking on, ended up using the AS5 paste as after finally getting the fan and heatsink on i realized the RAM needed to go in first, freezer 64 is too big to get the RAM in under after being installed...my first mistake (that i know of)

Anyways, cleaned the paste off and started over after getting the RAM in and all looks good now.

Next step is the video card, wish me luck....

Question: the 1394 connector comes straight down out of the top of the case and therefore stretches relatively tight across the board...are there extensions for such cables? I can work around it, is just an eyesore. I have a bunch of cable management questions for later :p

wow, nice build man, yeah i expect that cable looks nasty, have you tried browsing newegg for extension cables? im not sure if they do exist, if not then you could consider sleeving it

Looks especially ugly now that I have the video card in, is so tight is almost a strap holding the card in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom