A newb story: Buying is done...time to build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Ok, first off, thanks to everyone for answering my questions and helping me put together a cost effective build and getting the best bang for my buck. My sig shows what I'm sure looks to be a very familiar build! I splurged on the case, everything else is pretty much stock Tech Forum suggestions with the odd, minor, twist due to some local sales.

Anyways, as the title says, the buying is done and now it's time to build. I figured I'd start my own thread as I'm sure there will be a number of questions that arise...the last build I did was about 5-6 years ago and I haven't touch new technology since then, just fixes on my old system.

So, without further ado...the first questions:

1) The seagate HD has a jumper to limit data transfer at 1.5GB and is shipped this way. Is there any reason why I'd want to leave it like that???

2) I've heard rumours regarding problems installing an OS on a SATA HD? Any validity there or no real difference than the IDE format? BIOS, boot from CD and off you go with XP pro....

thanks

I just took the jumper off my Seagate. I don't see a reason, to limit the data transfer.

OS installation procedure is the same on SATA, as it is for IDE.

That's a very nice system. Are you planning on upgrading the processor, to the Phenoms?

I just took the jumper off my Seagate. I don't see a reason, to limit the data transfer.

Agreed. If somebody knows a reason for this limit please post it because i find it kinda strange..

i cant wait for the phenoms! im definitely getting one

#2 - Not true. I've done 2 builds, both with SATA, and with no problems whatsoever.

If your mobo has more than 1 SATA connector (Which I'm sure it does), just plug the HD into the SATA 1 port.

Agreed. If somebody knows a reason for this limit please post it because i find it kinda strange..

i cant wait for the phenoms! im definitely getting one

The limit is there because some mobo's can only run up to SATA/150 and it cant use the faster hard drive because it can't detect it.

The limit is there because some mobo's can only run up to SATA/150 and it cant use the faster hard drive because it can't detect it.

so what you are saying is if you take that off the hard drive wont work of your mobo has that limit or are you saying that it just wont go over 150

so what you are saying is if you take that off the hard drive wont work of your mobo has that limit or are you saying that it just wont go over 150

I'm saying some earlier mobo's are "retarded" and can't do switching, so the hard drive doesn't know which speed to operate at without a jumper. Newer mobo can tell the hard drive this but older ones can't

If the motherboard has a SATA/150 limit, and you put a SATA II 3.0Gb/s on there, it will just go down to SATA/150 transfer speeds.

That's a very nice system. Are you planning on upgrading the processor, to the Phenoms?

LOL...let's review the thread title: "A newb Story" I don't even know what the phenom is yet! I just got the 3600+, it was dirt cheap, under $60 after sale and will be my first OC'ing experience. I keep hearing I can get it up to around 3ghz so we'll see after that. Either way, if I bum it up on the OC then no real worries, $60 is fine as a worst case scenario learning experience. Phenom...maybe down the road once $$$ frees up a bit.

thanks for all the input so far...jumper is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom