New graphics card - gainward 1gb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonC

Solid State Member
So I'm looking for a new cheap card, and the 8600's are looking pretty good.

Found a Gainward 8600GT with 1024mb of memory. Now this seems to be an uncommon thing, and I'd like to hear opinions on this. Also, the memory is ddr2 rather than ddr3, but to compensate they put the GPU clockspeed up to 600 rather than 540.

here's a link to specs and info on the card
Welcome to Gainward Europe

now the obvious second choice would be Gainward 8600GT 512mb with DDR3. But a 540 gpu clockspeed.
Welcome to Gainward Europe

The price difference between the two is negligible.

Also, if there's any reason NOT to buy a Gainward, I'd love to know.

ddr? shouldent it be gddr? ive never heard of gainward.
Whats your budget? if you can get a gt. Also, ati's 3850 is better for the price if i remember right

if you get a gt, get evga brand

I have heard of gainward, I have lost all faith in EVGA (have had SIX of there damned cards, and every one has suffered terrible manufacturing defects) And did they seriously release a 1gb version of that card with that GPU?????

yes, there is seriously a Gainward Geforce 8600GT 1024mb card... I linked to the details.

Taintedplay, it is a GT. an 8600GT.

Also I'd prefer to stay with Nvidia because that's what I'm familiar with.

Gainward is a company that takes a card and pushes it to the max.. then pushes the price to the max too.

Honestly just grab a 8800gt

*edit: btw gainward is a company such as evga and XFX.

price to the max ? dunno what it's like there but here (australia) it's the cheapest card around so far as I can see.

the Gainward Geforce 8600GT 1024mb card is $181AUD.. the cheapest 8800GT is about $380AUD. So I'm bewildered by your statement.

They do seem to do good things with their cards. reviews so far seem to be quite positive.

i meant 8800gt. The 8800gt is more expensive, but a **** of a lot better. I mean just light years ahead.

eVGA and XFX and gainward and such are all nvidia. There the manufacturing brands while nvidia does the chipset or something like that

I know the 8800GT would be nice, but I just can't do the price which is over double the amount of the 8600gt.

The main reason I'm posting here is to find out if 1gb of memory is worthwhile because I found hints that it's pointless. Also want to know which is more beneficial: more GPU clockspeed, or faster memory.

1 gb of memory is pointless for a card that (relatively, mind you) weak.
core speed and shader clocks are more important than memory, but they all go hand in hand.

OK..

I really want to know though - What is more important: GPU clockspeed or Memory speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom