new case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exarchice

Baseband Member
ok so quick specs i have a asus p6t se mobo with a xfx 4890, and a 920 in it. and i got the pcp&c 750w and 6gigs ocz, vista 64 bit.

i need to get a new case, my parts are really cramped in the case i have it in, i literary have to take the whole comp apart to do any mods at all (including rearranging cables, hec i have my cd drive, which doesnt work with vista anyhow laying outside of my case ontop of the table lol and i have all 3 sides of the case off)

im thinking of the antec 900 series, but those are $110 and im sure i can get something better for the money, im just not sure what. i also need to buy a monitor and a dvd driver aswell, so thats going to cut into my budget, i originally bought a monitor when i bought the rest of my parts, but it came damaged, so i got a refund for it.

ok so here is what im thinking, and i really just need input on the case, but input on a monitor/dvd drive is ok too. the case needs to be pretty roomy for these parts, i want to have room to spare so i can get in there and do mods if needed, i dont want any case where these parts will fit nice and snug, i want plenty of room and plenty of room for cooling power (i need to get my video card cool, not worried about my processor or anything else, but my video card runs kinda hot. it runs about 62-64c idle and about 69-70c running darkfall(video game)

Newegg.com - ASUS Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Acer X233Hbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors

here are some case options, but im not looking to spend any more than $140 max, but the cheaper the better. btw i dont care how fancy the case looks, altho nice looks are a + its not really relevant to me. the only specs im really looking for is nice airflow and cooling, the case could be made out of chewing gum and sticks and look like a total piece of crap as long as it works good and is roomy and keeps stuff nice and cool. oh also im going to need front side audio ports and front side usb ports. it needs atleast 1 mic 1 sound port in the front, and atleast 2 usb 2.0 ports in the front. well, its more what i would like, but its not 100% necessary to have the audio.usb ports, its just a nice perk
im going to put #x as my top picks, but any of these cases or any recommended cases i would pick.
Newegg.com - NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $140 #3
Newegg.com - XCLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $110 #4
Newegg.com - XCLIO WTBK ADVANCED Fully Black Finish Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $140 #2
Newegg.com - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases $99 #1

The antec 900 series is fine, a lot of people get them and are always pleased with them. some of these would be good too. Sounds like you want a full tower though, so maybe the antec 1200 would be good.

If your only concerned with your GPU temps as of now, I have heard amazing things about XCLIO cases for gpu temps...

I think this one
Newegg.com - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Is very nice, I considered buying it for a while....

I think many months ago someone on the forums here made a post about how they loved the case.

Do you know that you can lower your gpu temps by increasing the fan speed on your 4890 or by buying an aftermarket cooler?

The antec 900 series is fine, a lot of people get them and are always pleased with them. some of these would be good too. Sounds like you want a full tower though, so maybe the antec 1200 would be good.
it doesnt matter to me if its a full or mid size tower, it just needs to be roomy, and the ones i was looking at had alot of fans, which is probably why they are full size towers, either way finding space for the case wont be an issue.
If your only concerned with your GPU temps as of now, I have heard amazing things about XCLIO cases for gpu temps...

I think this one
Newegg.com - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Is very nice, I considered buying it for a while....

I think many months ago someone on the forums here made a post about how they loved the case.

Do you know that you can lower your gpu temps by increasing the fan speed on your 4890 or by buying an aftermarket cooler?
im not sure how to raise the fan speed on the 4890, i managed to max out all my other fan speeds though, which is probably why they run much cooler.

as far as the xclio windtunnel goes, that was my #1 pick, it looks like a really nice case and for $100 its not a bad deal at all.

as far as any aftermarket parts go (heatsink, ram cooler, gpu cooler, etc...) ide rather get a new case first and then if i need additional cooling then i will buy aftermarket parts when i get the money.

it doesnt matter to me if its a full or mid size tower, it just needs to be roomy, and the ones i was looking at had alot of fans, which is probably why they are full size towers, either way finding space for the case wont be an issue.

im not sure how to raise the fan speed on the 4890, i managed to max out all my other fan speeds though, which is probably why they run much cooler.

as far as the xclio windtunnel goes, that was my #1 pick, it looks like a really nice case and for $100 its not a bad deal at all.

as far as any aftermarket parts go (heatsink, ram cooler, gpu cooler, etc...) ide rather get a new case first and then if i need additional cooling then i will buy aftermarket parts when i get the money.

Sounds like a plan. Most people say that case is pretty big. It's a full tower so it is probably going to be noticeably bigger then what you have now.

You should be able to raise the fan speed on the 4890 through CCC overdrive feature or something similar (there will be an ATI icon over near that clock, double click it).

If not, then allow me to help you out with Google .

I've heard the wind tunnel is quite good, although i would stick the a more commonly known manufacturer if you want a true quality case.
The gpu cooling looks ok but case design doesn't look very good, doesn't seem to offer much in terms of cable management either.

You can also use rivatuner to change the fan speed, this will drop temps a lot if it's anything like the 4870.

Sounds like a plan. Most people say that case is pretty big. It's a full tower so it is probably going to be noticeably bigger then what you have now.

You should be able to raise the fan speed on the 4890 through CCC overdrive feature or something similar (there will be an ATI icon over near that clock, double click it).

If not, then allow me to help you out with Google .
ya im going to look up some control device for the 4890, im sure i can DL it off the main website.

I've heard the wind tunnel is quite good, although i would stick the a more commonly known manufacturer if you want a true quality case.
The gpu cooling looks ok but case design doesn't look very good, doesn't seem to offer much in terms of cable management either.

You can also use rivatuner to change the fan speed, this will drop temps a lot if it's anything like the 4870.

i dld rivatuner, but it is a little too advanced for me, so im probably going to go with one from the ati website.

as far as the 1200 goes, i would ideally like to have that one over the wind tunnel, but at $160(after $55 savings) it is a little too pricey for me. if i could find one for about $140 or less i would go for it.

Just so you know, those temps for a GPU are not bad at all. GPUs run alot hotter than CPUs. 70C on load is perfectly fine. I've run my 8800GTX for a long gaming session in the middle of the summer and it was sitting at around 90C perfectly stable.

I run my gtx 260's at 75C almost 24/7 whilst folding.

900 is probably the best bang for your buck now with the Antec 900-2 out for 139ish.

With 1 card it'll be plenty of room. As i said before in another thread, 3 holes in the tray and it's even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom