New build for a friend

danhodge

In Runtime
Hey guys, my friend has asked me to build him his first PC (he's always been a laptop man). It's primarily for gaming, and he said his budget is around £600 but can go higher if needed. So I put together this build, and I just wanted to double check it was okay.

CPU: i5 6500
Mobo: Gigabyte H110M-S2H
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
Case: Corsair CC-9011075-WW Carbide Series 100R Windowed Mid-Tower ATX
Wifi Card: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900

Question 1 is do Intel CPU's still come with a stock CPU cooler? He won't be overclocking.
And 2, is everything here compatible? Specifically, I'm a tad worried about the motherboard, I can't tell what PCI extensions is has, and if the wifi card/gpu/ram will fit/work.

Thanks for the help,
Danny

The non-K series CPUs still come with a cooler. Everything will fit fine, but it leaves little room for expandability in the RAM department. The wifi will go on the bottom 1x slot and the GPU will take the 16x slot and slot under it.

What about HDDs, monitor, kb/mouse etc?

One thing, that card being MIMO with 3 antennas is good, but if he cares about ping or throughput he might want a better card. If he games on wireless currently and has less than a 100Mb connection ignore this.

The non-K series CPUs still come with a cooler. Everything will fit fine, but it leaves little room for expandability in the RAM department. The wifi will go on the bottom 1x slot and the GPU will take the 16x slot and slot under it.

I don't think he is too worried about going past 16gb for quite a long time. He is just transitioning over from console/a cheap laptop, he isn't expecting to max everything :)

What about HDDs, monitor, kb/mouse etc?

Ahh yes, since the budget is so tight, i'm recommending what i'd do, which is go for a 1TB hard drive. I know you're gonna tell me to go for an SSD, but i can't find a way to fit it in without it being too little storage. And i need to find out about peripherals, but that just comes down to taste more than anything.

One thing, that card being MIMO with 3 antennas is good, but if he cares about ping or throughput he might want a better card. If he games on wireless currently and has less than a 100Mb connection ignore this

He's a student in identical housing as me, so no way for ethernet or anything, and he has a decent, but nowhere near 100Mb connection. In fact, that's the card you recommended to me under the same conditions :silly:

Thanks!

I don't think he is too worried about going past 16gb for quite a long time. He is just transitioning over from console/a cheap laptop, he isn't expecting to max everything
You'd be surprised. If he does get into it he's going to need more RAM. I was sitting at 10GB usage just playing Andromeda last night and since I was having issues I didn't have it maxed or playing in 4k. (Issues have since been resolved and maxed @ 4k sits about 12GB usage). That's one scenario, but things are becoming more and more bloated. Lucky for him they make 16GB sticks.

Ahh yes, since the budget is so tight, i'm recommending what i'd do, which is go for a 1TB hard drive. I know you're gonna tell me to go for an SSD, but i can't find a way to fit it in without it being too little storage. And i need to find out about peripherals, but that just comes down to taste more than anything.
He can get an SSD in the near future, I just wanted to make sure he had everything he needed and nothing was forgotten.

He's a student in identical housing as me, so no way for ethernet or anything, and he has a decent, but nowhere near 100Mb connection. In fact, that's the card you recommended to me under the same conditions
Ah a student, got it. Then yea that card will be fine as you've said.

Back
Top Bottom