More RAM vs Tighter Timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^not to mention operating voltage, especially if you are planning to overclock them.
if you were not overclocking at all, i dont think it would be a big deal as long as they were the same speed.

hmm pinoy3000, ur making quite a lot of threads ive noticed.........

anyways, y not just get these?:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

just to rebate n save urself money. That's what im probably going to do.

Whats funny is this is the exact set up im running, 2 ocz (gold not plat) and 2 xms2 and running them both at 800mhz 4-4-4-12 with no issues. I bought them because you can only do 1 rebate per household, so i double rebated.

lol that is kind of a funny coinkydink. i would think that pretty much any ram that you run at stock speed would be able to run together.
i ran 2gb of HZ with 2gb of xms2c4 for a little while.
they didnt like to play nice together when i tried to overclock them both though.
then, i ditched my lem0n-dont-overlock-worth-a-sh**-HZ's and bought another 2x 512 of xms2c4.
now everyone is happy.

Hello sorry for jacking your thread but it felt as if this could fit here,

does it mean that i should get two of the exactly same kind of sticks if i already have 2x1 GB, i want to buy two more sticks (2x1 GB), should i get some other ones with lower timings (they are cheaper than the ones i have now) or get the same ones i have now with same timings as the ones i already have. I am not sure if the timings and brands matter, of course i want to run dual channel on both pairs. And does the CAS latency matter too? Im completely lost when it comes to memories

The thing to remember is that the memory is going to run at the slowest speed. So if you have 2 matched pairs of 2gb, and one has 4-4-4-12 timings and one has 5-5-5-15 timings, the machine is going to set it at 5-5-5-15 to keep the slower memory happy. So buying memory faster than what you currently have is not going to make a difference.

The thing to remember is that the memory is going to run at the slowest speed. So if you have 2 matched pairs of 2gb, and one has 4-4-4-12 timings and one has 5-5-5-15 timings, the machine is going to set it at 5-5-5-15 to keep the slower memory happy. So buying memory faster than what you currently have is not going to make a difference.

does this apply to anything else other than the timings? Latency? What about compability then, will it matter what brand & model i get?

cheers

For the most part, ram is ram. Unless you are trying to massively overclock it, its all going to work together just fine.

just get another 2 gb of hz, for the best performance, even though their is hardly a difference between 2 gb and 4gb, your best off investing $100 in future upgrades, which maybe, will be another 2 gb of RAM, but by then you will know what to get, why the heck do you have an 850-watt psu? you only need 500

just get another 2 gb of hz, for the best performance, even though their is hardly a difference between 2 gb and 4gb, your best off investing $100 in future upgrades, which maybe, will be another 2 gb of RAM, but by then you will know what to get, why the heck do you have an 850-watt psu? you only need 500

LOL, i upgraded from 750Watt Toughpower to Antec Quattro 850Watt, was gonna get the Cooler Master 850 Watt CompUSA.com - Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 Watt Internal Power Supply Unit - RS-850-EMBA - Computer Upgrades » Power Supplies

But decided, I want a Modular one. So got this Antec instead.

Also, I just reseated my heatsink, loving it. I found out that the thermalpaste I used, Zalman one, I didnt apply enough and it just wasnt touching the heatsink at all.

Now, I applied a Arctic Silver 5 on this one, in the middle and twisted it for 30 seconds till it got hard. Hehe.

Now temps went from 45C to 38C at idle. Not much difference but load made a lot of difference, 20C difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom