Monitor Choices, Choices, Choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

semanthe

Beta member
Hello Forum,

I am looking to upgrade from a decent Acer 20" monitor at 1650x1080 to a monitor 23"+ at either 1920x1080 or more preferably 1920x1200 res. My budget is no more than $320 before tax (I'd love to keep it much lower but can be convinced to spend the full amount if noticeable differences are shown).

Here is my current monitor specs:
Newegg.com - Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 - LCD Monitors

I have been looking at a few monitors already, but I'd rather you all give me your opinions on what monitors to consider. I want to see a noticeable difference between my current monitor and the next. I also would much rather get a 24" with great quality than say a 28" with low quality. I currently have a HD 4890, but I'll probably be getting a HD 5870 for Christmas.

I think I've narrowed my search down to these three monitors listed below. I just can't seem to decide between the three. The problem for me is there aren't any good stores around my house to check out LCD's in person. I went to Best Buy (which is the only place I could think of that has them out on display) and they did not have ANY 1920x1200, only 1920x1080. Any other places I could visit to check monitors out? Also, any help you can give on narrowing down the three I've listed below would be nice

Samsung 24" T240HD 289.99 Free Shipping
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

ASUS VW266H 25.5" 299.99 plus $30 MIR Free Shipping
Newegg.com - ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers w/ component connector - LCD Monitors

Hanns-G 28" HG-281DPB 309.99 Free Shipping
Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Thanks for the help!

Your links are all broken...

I'd get the cheapest with the best warranty imo, although my 17" dell has served me pretty good for the last 5 years :D.

All 3 of your choices are excellent monitors.

I have the samsung and love it. I have a friend with the hans who loves it. I have heard good things about the asus but do not have personal experience with it.

Sorry for the broken links, but I think they are fixed now.

I appreciate the replies! Does your Samsung look fine when gaming? A couple reviews mentioned noticeable ghosting since it only has 5ms response time. Although, I tend to lean towards Samsung because I'm familiar with them and have had good experiences. I've never owned an ASUS or Hanns-G product so I'm a little wary. I like the idea of the bigger screen because I won't be able to run dual monitors for quite a while sadly. On the other hand it has a lower contrast ratio than the other two.

I'm so torn! :)

I have noticed no ghosting on games like crysis, l4d, fallout2 and many older titles (hl2, css, fear etc.).

I do have the T240 not the HD model. I believe the built in tuner to be the only real difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom