Just Built new PC, need a quick answer please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgoldberg1

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I just built my new computer and I've noticed that my CPU and GPU are getting pretty hot...here's my computer stats

Motherboard- Nvidia NF680i SLI
RAM- 4Gigs
CPU-Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
Graphics Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS Superclocked Edition (EVGA)
HDD- 400GB 7200 RPM 3.0 GHz/s
Power Supply- 650W Antec Trio

Ok, my CPU idles anywhere from 47°C to 50°C and my GPU is idling at anywhere from 47°C to 50°C. While in-game (CoD4 etc...) my CPU stays at 60°C and my GPU goes to 70-74°C...my question is...With my specs are these temperatures too high? If so please tell me how I can improve them...I noticed that my GPU's fan is running at a default 25% so i downloaded RivaTuner and set it to 75%...the above temperatures is what it runs at with 75% fan power.

NOTE- I'm using the STOCK heatsink that was provided with the CPU...would this have any affect on the heat?
NOTE 2- I haven't had any weird flashes on my screen or blue screens or anything yet, but i just built this computer 2 days ago...I'm worried that something might happen.

60°C is a bit hot for a CPU, and 74°C sounds about normal for the video card.

I'd try to get the CPU to 50-55°C.

Edit: Though, I don't think it's hot enough to worry about damage. The Intel CPU's are pretty smart at avoiding damage. They throttle themselves before blowing up, and I don't think they do that until 70°C.

First things first. What case do you have. Is there sufficient air flow in the case. What are the temps in your room where the computer is. The temps for the card sound about right, my GT's get pretty warm if i dont turn the fans up, but it sounds like your CPU might not have the heatsink seated all the way. Either that or your board is putting too much voltage through it.

Well I did have trouble seating the CPU, it was my first time ever building a PC...I'm afraid i might have messed the thermal compound up, I didn't touch it at all though...and my case is the Antec Performance One P180. The temperature in my room is about 78 degrees Ferenheit

That's about where my GPU is for temp, CPU i dropped significantly by getting aftermarket cooler and changing thermal paste. What kind of case do you have? How's the airflow in/out?

[edit]lol, you all beat me to the question :p[/edit]

just posted case and room temp above

again,

CASE- Antec Performance One P180
Room Temp- 78 degrees ferenheit

From the sound of it, the heatsink isnt seated right. The stock intel heatsinks are a giant PITA to get to seat right. I suggest you go buy some 90% isopropyle alcohol, some coffee filters, and a tube of arctic silver 5. Reseat the sink and you should get better results.

veedubfreak you might want to elaborate more on that- cuz I have never messed with thermal paste before- I can imagine its to help remove the old paste and perhaps something with the new paste so it doesn't "over seep" but uh.. proceedure? lol

If you do a google search for arctic silver 5 and go to their website, they can describe it a lot better than i can. The intel heatsink coems with thermal paste already applied to the bottom, so for you to reapply it you'll need to clean the old stuff off and reapply it. If i recall, dual cores you use a rice sized dot in the center, whereas quads you use a line.

edit, here you go. pick the one you have
Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5 Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom