Intel Forces OCZ's Hand: Indilinx Drives To Drop in Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hefemeister

Lord Techie,
AnandTech: Intel Forces OCZ's Hand: Indilinx Drives To Drop in Price

The SSD world waited with bated breath on Tuesday as Intel announced the specs and pricing of its next-generation X25-M drives. The performance improved, sometimes heartily, but the pricing was the real story. Once these things get out there, Intel is expecting the 80GB drive to sell for $225 and the 160GB drive to sell for $440. If you'll remember back to last September, the X25-M first debuted at $595.

This meant trouble for 3rd party SSD makers like OCZ, whose cheapest high performance drives would now be more expensive than Intel's X25-M. As you'd expect, by forcing prices down, all 3rd party SSD vendors had to react. OCZ shared its new pricing structure with us that should start taking effect in the coming weeks:

Drive NAND Capacity Cost per GB Target MSRP
Intel X25-M (34nm) 80GB $2.81 $225
Intel X25-M (34nm) 160GB $2.75 $440
OCZ Vertex (Indilinx) 64GB $2.97 $190
OCZ Vertex (Indilinx) 128GB $2.27 $290
OCZ Vertex (Indilinx) 256GB $2.34 $600
OCZ Agility (Indilinx, non-Samsung Flash) 64GB $2.50 $160
OCZ Agility (Indilinx, non-Samsung Flash) 128GB $2.11 $270

Just about time for that ssd upgrade ladies and gentlemen. :)

I have been saying at $2 a gig I am in. Getting visitors from the states soon so a newegg order may be upcoming.

That's how I play it too. Wait for family or friends and then bombard them with packages :p. $2 a gig would be really really really nice, do you see that happening soon though? Maybe around December for holidays?

Yeah when I put my build together I really wanted a ssd. I just could not justify the cost for performance. So I picked up a 1tb drive that will become all storage one I pick up a ssd. Really want one around 120gb so as to not worry too much about space.

I am hoping for $2 a gig for a good one with nice speeds around the end of Oct. as that is when the parents are coming.

Ah I see...I hope that happens that soon. If so, I would definitely get a 100+GB also. Hard drives are the slowest thing that we have for computers isn't it? And optical drives? Except I don't see how much faster we would need optical drives to write...maybe faster blu-ray writers for huge amounts of GB..I am thinking out loud here sorry on the weekends my brain dies as I said in another post :p

Those prices are still insane, less insane than before but still very insane.

Even with the OCZ price drops the Intel X25-M gen 2 is still they way to go in my opinion.

The Intel's price/performance is actually significantly better than conventional drives when you look at 4k random write speed/dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom