to heatsink or to not heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulofadra6on

Baseband Member
i was just wondering what heatsinks ya'll recommend? I have an E8500 that i plan on overclocking and looking to buy an aftermarket heat sink just for good measure.

If you want to get serious then go with the True 120 as Hefe recommended. Here's a link :D
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev C. CPU Heatsink - (Socket LGA 1366 / 775 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / Xeon**) - FrozenCPU.com

The picture shows a fan but the info says it's optional so you'll need to buy one. Here's a good variable speed fan with LED's.
Cooler Master 120x25mm Dual Ball Silent Fan - Blue LED (Y720DCD-25T1-GP) - 110.0CFM - FrozenCPU.com

The True works best if you lap it so here's a kit and a video :D
FrozenCPU Deluxe Heatsink Lapping Kit - FrozenCPU.com

Or you can go with the Sunbeam :D
Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer Universal CPU Cooler ( CR-CCTF ) - FrozenCPU.com

Hmm, That could be a problem. Might prevent you from getting a 120mm heatsink in there. I put my megahalems (120mm heatsink) in my CM690 case which is slightly wider than that and it's about 1/2" away from the side of the case and would not fit if I had a fan above it. Might have to take the fan out or get a smaller heatsink.

Or mount the fan on the outside. What I ended up doing with a 80mm fan I had on the side panel. The little stretchy things look like they're about to break, but they haven't so its all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom