GPU and RAM

iRaizen

Solid State Member
So I just got a ROG Swift PG279Q Monitor as a present. I started noticing I had to dial the settings down so my GTX 1060 6GB could at least achieve 60 fps. My question is it worth going to Best Buy and picking up this MSI RTX 2080 Trio or am I better off getting a 1080 ti off eBay (or if anyone has a suggested site where I can get one for a fair price)?

Next I'm looking to upgrade my RAM for my X370 Killer SLI motherboard but the thing is I never upgraded the bios. Pretty much scared myself silly after reading Reddit threads on the bios updates for the board and how they were having issues. So I thought if it's not broken why fix it. I'm not planning to OC anything just something I can sustain gaming and video editing with. I currently have 8GB (2x4) 2400. I'm looking to upgrade to 16GB. Any suggestions for a not so expensive model? Aesthetically pleasing would be nice too.

Last edited:
its a AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

Monster Hunter World, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Anthem, Destiny 2 and im slowly but surely finishing Assassins Creed Origins

Last edited:
Well since I'm a little more awake I'll go ahead and address some things.

Firstly, 2400 RAM holds back your first gen Ryzen, and without an OC to both the RAM and the CPU it'll slightly hold back a new card at 1440p. You'll still benefit from a better card just not as much as if you purchased some quicker RAM and gave it a slight bump in CPU speed.

Secondly, I'm not real sure what bios update issues you could be referring to, then again I don't frequent Reddit as the PC reddits and gaming Reddits are pretty much filled with man childs and neckbeards.

So to answer your questions I would definitely go with the 2080 over a 1080ti if you have the money and a 16GB kit of Corsair LPX 3000. Another thing to consider is Zen+ prices are dropping due to Zen 3000 CPUs coming out soon. The 2600x is already down to 189.

I ordered the 2600x and it should be here by Wednesday
I updated my bios to the latest one
And I just installed the MSI Trio and Corsair LPX 3000

Issue now is the RAM is running at 2133 and I read that the most my ASRock X370 Killer SLI will support is up to 2933. Is there a How to OC RAM for Dummies Guide out there? I'm seeing post about “14-14-14-31” and “XMP setting” but it all sounds like rocket science to me.

Last edited:
Keep the timings set to what you see on the box, make sure RAM voltage is set to what you see on the box, slowly move from 2133 to 2400, to 2666 to see what takes. Anything over 2666 isn't guaranteed without subtiming tweaking. With the 2600x and a RAM speed of at least 2666 you'll notice improvement over your old CPU even if you don't reach 2933.

Took awhile but I managed to find the four timing digits and they were already preset to the box setting 15-17-17-34. The voltage wasn't set to 1.35 like on the box, it was at 1.20 but I managed to bump it up. And I got it to 2933 from 2133. You're right. I'm already noticing increased performance from just the ram.

Back
Top Bottom