Gaming Laptop...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trepkos

Baseband Member
I have been stuck with the same Dell Desktop PC with the same 768MB's of RDRAM, the same 64MB Geforce4 MX420, and the same 2.0ghz Intel processor for close to six years now.

Sure, this rig may have been the stuff when I first gained it but over the years it has become more and more obsolete with almost zero upgrade options(Except for the heavily overpriced RDRAM), and the AGP 2x/4x slot that is pretty much useless in terms of upgrading graphics-wise.

So I am looking for a computer to aid me in my college studies and one that would also be ideal for playing the latest games as well as different video/photo/audio editing applications. So immediately with the concept of killing two birds with one stone engraved in my optimistic mind; I think, why not a laptop?

Portability would be ideal for the classroom and the current technology being implemented into these machines are mostly able to handle the latest killer apps. So I browse through the selection of well-known gaming PC manufacturer, Alienware.

There I find the Alienware Aurora m9700 Laptop....

Alienware: Aurora m9700 Notebook - Learn More!

Everything looks nice even though it has been quite a while since I've dug my nose into the different bits of information regarding PC hardware, the latest cpu's/gpu's and different rig setups. So ultimately I am not completely lost on some of the hardware specs, just maybe confused in different places.

Ultimately I am more competent of desktop setups, but some hardware characteristics of the laptop isn't much different. In addition, the thought of using a touch pad makes me cringe. :S

So if you could give me your opinion on what I should do....

Other questions include:

How do the AMD Turionâ„¢ 64 Mobile processors compare to other processors in terms of sheer power? 1.8 ghz doesn't sound too hot...there surely something else there.

What should I look for, in terms of HDD-wise with the options presented by the Aurora M9700?

What is the role of the wireless network device?

SLI Duo-Cards...worth it? Yes, I want high-resolution but is that the only worthwhile part of this option?

With the epic pace of computer technology changing, what is the upgrade options available for a laptop? I can upgrade most desktop PC's with relative ease(worse comes to worse, I would need to change the mobo), but upgrading laptops I am not even familiar with, if even possible to do.

I don't want to spend over 2500 USD for a laptop that is pretty much stuck with the hardware it came with without any upgrade options to keep it on the main track for years to come.

T'ats all.

Any tips/information is helpful.

im no pro at any of this, just had my experiences when i was looking for a laptop for university. i was like you, wanting a good gaming laptop which could also do all sorts of others...

well for starters, as far as my knowledge goes, alienware laptops are probably the best gaming laptops you could get. however, they're more of a desktop replacement so expect short battery times, heavy and just generally being bulky. if your going to carry this around with you alienware notebooks is a big no-no.

you should think about how much your going to take it around. notebooks are generally either high spec bulky desktop replacements, or low spec light ultra-portables. theres never one which is good in both areas.
i've opted for something in-between, a dell. pritty happy with it, good customer support and prittty good quality.

but like i said, im no pro... just my 2 cents...

I am about to buy an HP 6000T laptop, comes with a 7400 Go, 12 cell battery 2 gigs of ram Core 2 duo ect for $1,100 once my desktop is to be sold.

The crux of the argument is that you cannot upgrade the video card/processor/mobo unless you are EXTREMELY good at it and know exactly what you are doing (even then it may not be possible).

With the 7400 Go my laptop will still be able to function fairly well on most games with high graphics on the ones I play (C&C 3), UT2k4, and that is pretty much it.

All in all, laptops are nice, but if you are getting it for gaming (I am not due to the fact most games these days are getting lamer and lamer IMO and I have lost most of my need to play them so I am solely going after a nice laptop that can play movies well and the occasional game and will last me for 2 1/2 to 3 years)

Thats my $.03

Could anyone tell me about the processor?

I really hate the fact that everything in the laptop performs above and beyond except for the processor. Therefore the SLI graphics can not be fully taken advantage of.

"The Aurora m9700 is the first and only 17” dual-graphics card system, giving you up to a 100% increase in graphics performance over single graphics card systems. "

Wow that's new to me I could swear that sli just gave a 40-60% increase at max they must have a new kind of sli to everyone else

Laptop processors are very fast, not as fast as there desktop predecessors, however they are still wicked fast.

As far as I know there is VERY little difference between C2D laptop and desktop version other than you cannot overclock the laptop very much.

"The Aurora m9700 is the first and only 17” dual-graphics card system, giving you up to a 100% increase in graphics performance over single graphics card systems. "

Wow that's new to me I could swear that sli just gave a 40-60% increase at max they must have a new kind of sli to everyone else

It depends on what they're comparing! Dual 7900 GS's w/512MB each might be 100% better than a single 3 year old card w/128MB. You can pretty much say anything and find numbers/statistics to back it up, if you are creative enough!!

On another note, I actually have this computer and am very happy with it! A previous poster is right about weight and battery life being low, so I don't think you'd want to be taking it to class. But if you sit near a wall with an outlet near, I guess that would work! I play Prey, Never Winter Nights 2, Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, GTR 2, DDO, GalCiv 2, and Heroes of Might & Magic 5. They all work great at 1920x1200 with most to all settings on high. NWN 2 and GTR 2 have a few slowdowns (drops to 15-20FPS) when there is alot moving on screen at once, but they're still playable.

This is an expensive computer, though, depending on what options you get. I got max everything, and it cost around $4800 in Sept '06. I like it, but I don't haul it around too much. Most of the time it's on my coffee table and plugged in. If you have any specific questions, post 'em, and I'll see if I can answer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom