Feedback for a Gaming Build

alvoss

Baseband Member
Hi All - My 7.5 year computer finally died this weekend and I'm thinking it's time to build myself a new one. It's been that long since I've built anything so I've been doing a lot of research to piece this things together. Its primary use will be gaming. I don't have a hard budget, but just want to hit that sweet spot of price and performance.

Here is what I am thinking, but would welcome any feedback:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($58.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: LG 24GM77 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($259.26 @ Amazon)
Total: $1612.75

Some specific questions I would like everyone's opinion on as well:
1. Would an M.2 SSD be worth it? From what I could find it only shaved a few seconds off of boot times so it didn't seem like it.
2. Any suggestions on the monitor? I want a 24" 144hz but beyond that I'm pretty ignorant.
3. Thoughts on the CPU cooler? I heard these single loop water coolers are supposed to be good and this one looked reasonably priced...
4. Would it be worth it to drop the extra cash on the 1080? My thought is to save the cash now and use it to upgrade when the 1070 is outdated.
5. Any other case recommendations? I like simple, quiet, good airflow, and easy to clean.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Looks like a solid build to me.

1. That depends, because they make SATA and PCI-E M.2 solutions. A SATA M.2 is pretty much the same price but reduces the cable clutter in the PC.
2. Any particular reason why 144hz? I'd shoot for a 27" 1440p monitor with this setup and that monitor price tbh. They make those in IPS and 144hz too, if you absolutely need the refresh.
3. Sure, AIO is the **** and you'll never see me or my customer builds have an air cooler again. I'd shoot for the H80 GT instead though, as the H75 is kinda old tech.
4. Well a 1070 is TItan X power for a small price. If you're sticking with 1080p then a single 1070 is more than enough.
5. Only case I can recommend is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M like I have. It's small, easy to clean with dust filters, and compact enough to have good airflow and pressure with the right fans.

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely go for the H80 and stick with the 1070. The phantek enthoo pro looks pretty nice too and sounds like it will check all my boxes.

Regarding the monitor I've just heard how smooth 144hz looks but can't say I've used one myself. A 27" IPS 1440p would be pretty awesome too though. The high refresh rate IPS displays get quite expensive.

I guess I need to do decide if I want frames, overall picture quality, or to splurge and get both.

Newegg is selling the Asus MG278Q on sale right now for 389. Probably will be my "downgrade" monitor after Quakecon this year.

Just remember I said Enthoo Pro M, because the Enthoo Pro is a different bigger case. I have both if you have any questions about them.

Ended up grabbing the monitor you recommended. There was actually an addition $10 off promo code so it came down to $379. At that price point there wasn't a whole lot of competition.

The rest of the parts are on order too. Thanks for all your help PP Mguire!

Back
Top Bottom