Extreme build needing Extreme advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
ok some of you know that I've been updating a dream build for a while now. well, due to some budgeting, I finally have the finances to buy the entire setup in one shot. here's the build, I'm still researching some things so advice is welcome!
Newegg.com - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory (with LEDs) Model BL3KIT25664TR1337 - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-800MA1S 800W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply - Power Supplies *I want modular, is this one good?*
Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1296-AR GeForce GTX 295 Superclocked Edition 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards *maybe x2*
****THIS IS WHERE IT GETS FUNKY****
Iwear Vr920 | Electronics & Gadgets | SkyMall *anywhere else I can get this?*
OCZ Cryo-Z Phase Change Single Evaporator CPU Cooling Unit HOT ITEM!!! ( OCZTCRYO ) Sockets (478 / 754 / 775 / 1156* / 1366* / 939 / 940 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 ) - FrozenCPU.com
Newegg.com - OCZ OCZMSNIA Neural Impulse Actuator - PC Game Controllers

Now, the questions. I'm torn between these two cases. I'd LIKE to put the Cryo-Z into the top of the Lian Li Tyr PC-X1000 Lian Li Tyr PC-X1000 Super Full Tower Case - Black - FrozenCPU.com but failing that I will leave it external, in which case I'd get this Newegg.com - Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases. I am also wondering about the probability of attaching a seperate Cryo-Z to the GPU. if someone can offer some possibilities *possibly MNPC Tech to machine me a custom GPU block?* and as far as the case goes, with the Lian Li, I am comfortable with modding the top of the case, removing the drive bays, removing the top and customizing a new cover. if there is the possibility of getting a custom GPU block, I won't worry about the Li at all, at that point all I could do was stack the two units seperately. so yeah, I have some options, I don't know if I've made this clear, and I don't know if I should have put this into case mod. any and all advice welcome, I will be purchasing all the necessary parts just prior to christmas or immediately after. Thanks everyone?

Well, I would buy a i7 920 and overclock it, in my opinion the i7 960 doesn't worth the money. And I would buy the ATI HD5970 with the money you save with the cpu. Have you considered buying a ssd for the OS and buy a WD Green for your files? Or buy a smaller raptor for the OS and a the WD green for the files? Nevertheless I don't thing the raptors performance worth the extra money.

Something this "extreme" Id stick to a known psu maker.

I;'ve had a Corsair 520hx and now my silverstone DA700. Both modular, but the silverstones more modular as even the 24pin is removable.. makes routing a dream.

Just checked you seem to have picked high quality parts, except for the 1 part that'll destroy everything in 1 bad momment...

You should never skimp on psu quality. The one you choose is 110 bucks for an 800W psu.. A corsai lesser W one is bout the same price... I think that should answer your question on that.

Have you considered buying a ssd for the OS and buy a WD Green for your files?

yes I have... however, I've posted a thread on this discussion before which you'll notice nobody ever touched http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/scl-vs-mlc-ssds-213865/. I would LOVE to go SSD, I know I'd rather go with the most quality parts, is it worth that price difference? and definately will be going with a WD Green later, this is just getting everything up and running. *ignore the comments there about lappys, I'm sick of laptops!*
patonb... thanks for the heads up. if I do end up running two GPU's however, will 520 be sufficient? esp since I plan on pushing this rig to the limits. same applies if I can somehow modify a GPU block for the Cryo-Z... will that be enough for a large overclock of the gpu? I really want to push this rig really hard

I think you should go 2x 5970's. That would be sick. Then throw in a Corsair 850hx modular...520 will definitely not be enough for the kind of GPU power you are looking for.

question.... does it need to be "i7 certified"? and james, doing that would require me getting a totally different mobo, I'm trying to stick with all EVGA products. I realize that right now, the 5970's have the upperhand, but well, lets just say I've had better luck wtih nVidia than ATI. thanks for the suggestion though!

You can easily afford 12 GB of memory by cutting back on the cpu, the extreme version is for people that don't know how to overclock. Just get the 2.4 ghz i7.

And with that could probably get two 5870's or one 5970.

And nothing needs to have the title certified for anything.

So long as DDR3 goes into a DDr3 mobo and a socket 1336 cpu goes into a socket 1336 mobo.
You get the idea.

You definitely need faster ram. 1600 minimal with the oc action you have planned.

Ideally these:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Perfect Storm 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL8T-6GBPS - Desktop Memory

If they do not come back in stock pick up these:
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model KHX2000C8D3T1K3/6GX - Desktop Memory

ddr3 2000 cas8 = yummy.

you can pick up some cas9 and save a bit of cash as well.

psu:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

May want this if you plan on adding water cooling for your gpu's.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

ssd if they ever come back in stock:
Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

Do not get a velociraptor. If you cannot wait pick up a wd black to hold you over until you can pick up a ssd later.

I would not worry about putting your gpu's on phase. Just put them under H2O and you will be plenty fast. I would be leary of spending too much on 2 gtx295's with the 300's coming out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom