Decisions, worth it to go R800 or Geforce 300 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call the 4890 mid range... it beats the gtx275 and if overclocked it's right up there with the gtx285.

The GTX 275 is a upper mid-range card and if were talking about overclocking then you have to give both sides the same treatment as the GTX 285 or 280 overclocks also.

I've never said the 4890 was a bad or slow card, it is quite speedy, but it is a mid-range card. You can tell yourself High-End all you want but it doesn't make it true.

I think what your saying slay is that its a mid-range of the performance cards, ie its not the high performance like a gtx295 or lower performance like a hd4850.

But when you think about it is in the middle of the ATI range, ie. its not in the 4770 or 4830 area. I think thats what burn is refering too.

The GTX 275 is a upper mid-range card and if were talking about overclocking then you have to give both sides the same treatment as the GTX 285 or 280 overclocks also.
Of course they can. I'm saying that the 4890 does well in overclocking compared to other cards (i.e. overclocked vs overclocked)
I've never said the 4890 was a bad or slow card, it is quite speedy, but it is a mid-range card. You can tell yourself High-End all you want but it doesn't make it true.
I think my signature is appropriate here. 1 + 1 = 3 if you define 3 as a result of 1 + 1
You can call it a mid-range card, but whether it's true depends on what you consider a mid-range card to be. Most people would consider the 4890 high-end, at least until the new GPU's come out.

Besides, your exact words were "it really isn't that fast of a card".

But how is a HD 4890 considered mid-range, but the GTX 275 upper mid-range when the latter is slower than the former?

Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying though.

There's also the price differences... Since the gtx285 is the "fastest" single GPU nividia card compared to ATI's 4890. The gtx285 is pretty much double the price of the 4890; but does it have double the performance? You probably won't notice a difference in anything other than benches or gaming on an extremely large screen. You could also get a 4870x2 for about the same price as a 285.

^slay never said the 285's price/performance ratio was better, simply that the 285 was faster. what i dont understand though is how the 4890 could be considered mid range at all... i mean, it's not THAT much slower than a 285

Is there big gaps in performance between the GTX 260 core 216, 275, 280, and 285?

The GTX 280 was the older one out of all these cards right? Also I thought the GTX 295 was still a single GPU solution ( since it had no x2 in its name or anything ) that basically the power of 2 GTX 260s.

Also it totally makes sense that the 4890 would be high range in the ATIs line up since its the best single GPU card ATI has right? Also I don't think its fair to call it mid range in the overall aspect either since its not THAT much slower then a GTX 295 is it?

Lastly...should I be kicking myself for not jumpong on the FRYS gtx 275 for 148 after MIR deal? Or will there be better deals coming along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom