Confirm my new PC build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulEpsilon

Solid State Member
Hi experts, and people. I have a new build lined up and am ready to purchase, but before I go ahead and do so I want to find out if its a good line up and see if it confirms to be a good gaming rig. Please let me know what you think, and all of your advice towards it. I know the motherboard is very exspensive but money is not a major issue, here is the specs of the build and I look forward to your advice & answers thank you.

Operating system = Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Case = Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower
CPU = Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz LGA 1156 socket
Heatsink = Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO Cpu Cooler
Thermal compound = Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound
Motherboard = ASUS Maximus III Extreme LGA 1156 intel P55
Memory (Ram) = G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
2xGraphics Cards = XFX - Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Exp 2.1 x16 xfire rdy support
2x Hard Drives = Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Sata 6.0gb/s
1x SSD = Kingston SSDNow V+ Series 64GB 2.5"
Fan Controller = Scythe KQ01-BK-3.5 "KAZE Q"
Dvd Burner = Sony Optiarc black 24x DVD+R etc
Power Supply = XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12v / EPS12v SLI rdy xfire Rdy
Monitor = ASUS MS227N 22" 2msm ring stand LCD

I plan on raid0 the drives, and install my operating system on my SSD and a few other programs and some games I play frequently, and then use the other 1TB drives for mass storage. I want to go with 2 sticks 4gb each because if in the future I want to upgrade ram I will have room, and also if anything in my case is to big it will save room also. Done a bit of research on 5850's and they perform very well the research I did wasn't two 5850 1gb's xfire'd so should be good results power supply heard alot of good things about it and its enough for me so it works I believe. The monitor size doesn't matter alot to me so 22" is just right 2ms will help with games. Heatsink and the case are a little pricey but I will be overclocking everything so it should be very helpful. I plan on oc'ing the cpu to at least 4.0, ram to its maximum 1600, if you think I can go higher on the cpu oc'ing let me know please.
Thats all, I just need to know if its a green light on everything and that there isn't anything I should be aware of thanks!

I'd scope out this monitor, and yes, get it from amazon their return policy on them is amazing (and its free shipping). If any pxls are burned out or stuck, they will replace or refund it for you, where as with newegg I think it is 3 (it may be 5, cant remember).
Amazon.com: ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black: Computer & Accessories , That is the monitor I recently upgraded my gaming rig too. Absolutely no ghosting and it handles blu-rays awesome :D

Also, I did not see any speakers, so I am going to propose the Logitech Z-2300's. I swear for the price I will never go to anything else lol (seems I plug these anywhere I can, but I really do love them).
Newegg.com - Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System

I would wait and get everybody elses opinion first, as in the last two days alone (the two days I have been really active here) I have had to be corrected or contradicted on at least four separate occasions. That said, from what I can tell, if what you are asking is will everything work together, from what I see, it will all be compatible.

On a personal note, I am so friggen jealous of you right now, that thing will be beast.

A bit unrelated, but at the same time relevant, what do you guys think the power draw (In watts, don't care about amps yet, one step at a time as I need to get this sorted out first lol) this system will draw, seeing as how I recently found I over-guesstimate by more than I thought (apparently over by about 200 watts) I have taken to a little more subtle approach by using a fancy calculator. The numbers ended up working to ~590watts (with the OC'g) with the system running at 90%, does this seem correct? I really need to figure out this power supply thing lol. (590 watts is actually almost exactly 200 watts below my guess in the beginning of 800 watts, so that may be reasonable lol)

Thanks for the reply FoxMcCarther, i've taken your advice in hands and may upgrade in the future to those speakers, but at the time I usually have a headset on for gaming so when i'm talking on mic people won't get feedback from my speakers. I have an old 5.1 logitech set of speakers they seem to work "okay" but I know they could / should be replaced soon so I will keep your suggestion of speakers in mind when I do upgrade thank you.

As for the power in watts used with overclocking on the build, I have used the eXtreme power supply calculator (none pro version) to determine how much this build will need to take in. The none pro version did not have the ability to put two video cards on it but an easy way to manipulate around it is, the default watts you start with on their none pro version is 34 if you just add your video card around 194 watts then minus 34 from that = 160 watts, then remember that number write it down somewhere or something, fill it out for your whole build again including another video card then add the total of that + 160 = total watts + a little more i'm assuming for them being a little bit more for being in crossfire i'd assume so around 667 + crossfireing, would be around 700 + but just to be safe I went with a big supply for future proof, incase I wanted to add more ram in the future I could do so and get away with the power supply I have now. Also would be able to make other upgrades so its a good future proof choice for this build I would like to think haha. Any more thoughts please let me know thanks!

Can a mod or admin please move this topic into the "Building, Buying, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems" thank you in advanced. :)!

I'm actually going to go with a raven rv02 now haha and yeah I think I will the noctua heatsink will take up alot of space its very big. Thank you mod / admin for moving this topic.

thanks for the thermal compound, I was going to use the noctua compound cause the heatsink i'm getting comes with it but the kind your mentioned looks like it has a better reputation might go with it thanks.

I would just use the Noctua thermal paste, I only mentioned the Tuniq TX-2 because you had Arctic Silver 5 listed and it's no longer top of the line. It's (AS5) actually bottom tier nowadays.

Cool I will go with the noctua then thanks for the heads up saves me about 10$. What kind of sleeving kit would you recommend? I was looking at murdermod.com and mdpc-x. I am mainly going for a black/red theme for everything overall mouse has red lights keyboard will have red led under the keys, and I wanted a similar feel to the case the asus motherboard is red / black, in your opinion would it look better to go with just pure black sleeving? or try to get some other colors in there? I was also possibly looking into a replacement for the fans inside noctua heatsink to red fans and maybe one for the power supply too, to go with the theme, is this a good idea for performance wise or will it degrade it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom