Build for a friend, can you check it out please?( NEED HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, so here is a friends build for a gaming computer. We arn't to techsavvy and so are getting confused with all the graphics cards and especially with the motherboard!

OK so here is what we thought of so far, sorry for no links.

CPU-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 8Mb Cache

RAM-4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 - 4 x 1GB

Hard drive-300GB SATA Hard Drive

Power Supply-Atrix 800Watt Silent Dual Fan

GPU-640Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10

MB-ASUS P5N-ESLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI motherboard

Optical drive-Samsung DVD +/- Re-writer

Sound card-Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme sound card

OS-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem 64-bit (OEM)

Case- Gigabyte Poseidon Silver( want the case to look professional, not all lit up with LEDs and such)
No monitor, using old one, probably going to buy a better one a few months later.

OK so one big question is about the graphics cards. I heard is good but you can get similar performance in cheaper cards. SO is the card chosen good for new games coming out? ( If not please can you give details why the card you choose is better, because we are kinda confused)

Also with the motherboard, we thought we'd choose SLI just in case we want to buy another card as an upgrade later on. SO is this board any good? Also my friend does not want to go into overclocking so that overclocking performance isn't the main issue here.

So basically can you comment on ways to improve this, if you are going to post links remember we are in England so it's going to have to be an English site. Any help would be great, but try to explain simply:D

OK so one big question is about the graphics cards. I heard is good but you can get similar performance in cheaper cards. SO is the card chosen good for new games coming out? ( If not please can you give details why the card you choose is better, because we are kinda confused)

That graphics card is of the old architecture which is somewhat outdated, especially for the price. The new G92's are much faster overall and a better value, so make sure to look for the 512mb GTS's which are the newer version.

Also, I agree that your PSU is way overkill. The 520HX that was recommended is plenty.

Remember you don't need a sound card, unless you really want exceptional sound quality, since most motherboards come with adequate onboard sound.

well it isnt for overclocking but apart from that is the motherboard good or not, future upgrades and other stuff?

Also what about the 512mb 8800GT card, it seems to be the cheaper of all the other 8800 cards..? Or is that because it's worse then the 512mb 8800GTS ( G92) and the original 640mb 8800GTS card?

also because there will be NO overclocking, is it ok to go with the heatsink that comes with it?

The 8800gt 512mb is much better then the 640mb 8800GTS, but slightly worse then the 512mb GTS. It is overall the best price performance card I believe, but not by much.

the 8800gts g92 > 8800gt > 8800gts 320/640mb

check the sticky (Video Card Rankings) if you don't believe me

EDIT: Sapper beat me to it

change the memory to
Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1gb DDR2 800
get 4gb is you have vista 64-bit or video edit and such

Abit IP35 Pro is a great quad overclocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom