Build-a-beast (3,000$ budget)

iParanormalx

The strange one
So I've been pondering on a new build recently. I started a PcPartPicker list the other day and just leisurely picked the things I wanted and ended up falling in love with the idea. If anyone has any suggestions about what specific components I could swap to achieve a better price, better performance, or more efficiency I would love to hear your input.

Purpose:
This build is for high-FPS gaming at 1080. I have 3 144hz monitors that require a lot of GPU power to push high enough frames to take advantage of the high refresh rates. I do not plan on spanning the resolution of the game across the monitors. I play competitively so I don't want any of that shenanigans.

Sometimes I play games casually and when I do I love maxing games graphics settings and getting enough fps that I don't notice my machine not taking advantage of my monitors. It makes the world so much more immersive to me.

I've noticed, with adding 2 monitors to my original single 144hz monitor, that the additional 144hz draw (even just a browser window) actually reduces the performance of the game. So this build I want to provide enough power to run my game, my music and maybe OBS to stream it. I plan on refining my parts selection over the next month so I can begin buying the parts after Christmas. Thanks for reading and providing any feedback.​

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gk68bj

Motherboard - $199
Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO $199​

CPU - $319
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz​

Cooler - $89
Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 EX​

RAM - $239
Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB DDR-3400​

Storage - $249
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB​

GPU - ~$1400
2x Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SLI​

Case - $169
NZXT H440​

PSU - $169
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w Platinum modular​

OS - $89
Win 10 pro​

Additional - ~$40
Extra fans​

Subtotal (pre-tax) $2,962

Last edited:
If you play competitively SLI isn't the answer. You'd have to turn 1 GPU off. If you don't span then you should get a different GPU to push the other 2 monitors.

Could I get those two cards and not use the SLI bridge? Also im wanting to try to run H1Z1 at a higher FPS and quality - would SLI vs non-SLI with those two cards be better?

From what I'm to understand H1Z1 is like DayZ where it just doesn't like SLI that much. You can run SLI without a bridge. The best thing to do when running 2 cards is run single GPU mode through the driver profile but you'll have to set this up each time you install new drivers.

Would that allow me to switch between SLI and non-SLI without changing what monitors are plugged into which card? I'm very new to SLI so a lot of the particulars like this I am unaware of.

I think I know the answer to this question but do you think the extra 600$ for a second card will give me 600$ worth of additional performance?

Simple answer, no, and never will. If you're gaming 1080p a single 1080 would be fine anyways. As to your secondary screen anomalies, a cheap card to run them would be fine and possibly fix that.

Sorry, I just have to hijack this thread to say HOT. DAMN. $250 for a 1TB 850 Evo :O so friggin' jealous right now

Sorry, I just have to hijack this thread to say HOT. DAMN. $250 for a 1TB 850 Evo :O so friggin' jealous right now

This is an open forum man. We might share love for helping one another but its not even close to a hijack bro!

But i agree man... its pretty crazy that the price of SSDs have come down so much. Just last year i got my main rig an SSD and hell.... shoulda done it years ago. Such amazing boost in performance and with the cost ever so slowly going down it seems to be continually gaining in value as time passes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom