Brand new build, halp

danhodge

In Runtime
Hey guys,
I'm a little out of sync with hardware nowadays, but I was helped here like 7 years ago, and that PC is only just showing true signs of his age, so time for a new one.

I just bought a 1TB 860 EVO SSD, so i'll stick that in, but I have it already so please don't recommend replacing it, just pretend i made the right choice. I'm assuming i'll be upgrading, but my current PC has a pretty solid 600w Corsair PSU. It's like 8 years old at this point, but would it be a waste to replace it? I've also got one of those tiny wifi cards that i'd like to put in this, but i'm assuming those pci slots are standard.
So, this is what i'm thinking. I have no idea what the current CPU/GPU climate is, so please tell me what you'd change. Or if i've forgotten anything, that'd be embarrassing:

CPU: Intel CORE I5-9600K - £220
GPU: RX 5700 - £280
RAM: Corsair 16GB 3200mhz - £72
MOBO: ASUS STRIX H270F - £65
PSU: Corsair VS650 - £50
CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R - £45

I'll thoroughly appreciate any help,
Cheers lads! :angel:

You will need to change the board to something newer that supports 9th gen like a Z390.

I'd also advise against the 5700 with the teething problems it's still having.

You will need to change the board to something newer that supports 9th gen like a Z390.

Oh okay, I thought it just needed an LGA 1151 socket. What is it I should be looking for?

I'd also advise against the 5700 with the teething problems it's still having.

Cool, what should I be looking at around that price range ($300) then? RTX 2060 perhaps? Or is the last generation of RX's a better pick? And if so, what is the last generation? :lol: I'm really really out of sync here, and AMD don't appear to be following normal versioning and it's slightly confusing :lol:

Thanks for your help! :)

Oh okay, I thought it just needed an LGA 1151 socket. What is it I should be looking for?

Cool, what should I be looking at around that price range ($300) then? RTX 2060 perhaps? Or is the last generation of RX's a better pick? And if so, what is the last generation? :lol: I'm really really out of sync here, and AMD don't appear to be following normal versioning and it's slightly confusing :lol:

Thanks for your help! :)
Like I said a Z390 board, ASRock Pro or Extreme 4. B365 is also an option if stock is available.

The 5700 is more like a 2070 performance wise. They're good cards just have problems because of drivers. 300 isn't enough to get an Nvidia card on the same level.

Like I said a Z390 board, ASRock Pro or Extreme 4. B365 is also an option if stock is available.

The 5700 is more like a 2070 performance wise. They're good cards just have problems because of drivers. 300 isn't enough to get an Nvidia card on the same level.

Fair enough, i'll pick one out now, I don't know why I'd thought socket was the only important thing.
This might be another 2 weeks or so, if i don't mind waiting for hotfixes would you recommend I still go for the 5700, or go for something like the 590? I'm happy not grabbing an nvidia card, i've only ever had AMD so far.

Socket is the only thing that matters, the limitations are nothing more than Intel being greedy.

A 590 is significantly less performance than a 5700.

I am running a 5700 XT, a PowerColor Red Devil to be exact. The only issue I have had was having to set my PCI-E to x3 to use a PCI-E extension cable with my AsRock X570 Extreme Wifi AX board. Not sure if the issue is with the card or the board or the X570 chipset but I am thinking it is one of the last two. Oh, and I am running three 1080 screens in 5760x1080, plus a 1280x1024 screen above them, gaming on the tri-screen.

I am running a 5700 XT, a PowerColor Red Devil to be exact. The only issue I have had was having to set my PCI-E to x3 to use a PCI-E extension cable with my AsRock X570 Extreme Wifi AX board. Not sure if the issue is with the card or the board or the X570 chipset but I am thinking it is one of the last two. Oh, and I am running three 1080 screens in 5760x1080, plus a 1280x1024 screen above them, gaming on the tri-screen.
It's 100% PCI-E 4 and the current cables not being able to adhere to the signaling. It's a rather common issues a lot of sites picked up on and talked about.

Socket is the only thing that matters, the limitations are nothing more than Intel being greedy.

A 590 is significantly less performance than a 5700.

I see. So is there something in between? I'm really struggling to understand what's been going on with AMD releases over the last couple of years :confused:
What card would you get with that build? Lets say $350 max

Radeon Group has been in ****ville lately honestly. They can't catch some luck if it smacked them in the face.

You got the 5600XT that hangs around 2060 performance. Your best bet is find a used 1080ti for that money or just stick with the 5700. With everything going on in the world right now it's hard to get decent prices.

Back
Top Bottom