AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some more questions:

1.) If I go to a site like cyberpowerpc.com what's keeping me from buying the cheapest motherboard? Does it really matter, as long as I don't get a bleeding edge cpu? I'm going for core2 quad (obviously), is there some special mother board I have to order?

2.) Can I just go with 512mb instead of 1gb on my video card, or is their a noticedable difference? (I play with 1024x768 resolution btw lol)

3.) Is this Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards video card compatible with old crt tube monitors? (because I dont have any plans for upgrading).

Copy and paste what they are have

But I recommend building.. its really not hard

A Q6600 will outperform a 9950 most of the time and its $100 less (checked the egg this morning). So if you cant grab Q9950 you have some other options.

1. They have a set list of mobos to choose from, they aren't always the best bang for buck, or the best period in some cases. If you want to OC then you will need a decent board but most p35s, p45s. x38s x48s are decent OCers so its hard to go wrong, mostly it comes down to what newegg has on sale today.

2. Video ram helps you in higher resolutions. 1024x768 is really low, so I would say save you money and get the 512mb card. A good card to go with right now it ATI's HD4850. I have the 512mb model and it is awesome.

3. Yes, even though they only have DVI plugs the manufacturers are nice enough to include a little adapter plug. I have a analog monitor that uses vga and everything works fine. Although I highly recommend getting a modern digital LCD. The difference between an ancient CRT and a quality flat panel is too great to describe in words. Samsung makes great screens.

the amd counterpart is called 9950, the intel is called Q9550.

and q6600 > 9950, but falls to its 45nm sibling

Go with AMD atm, they are the way to go imo. You get a socket that isn't changing out soon and you get a processor that will handle all your needs and has a rumored smoothness to it compared to the intel counterpart (yet to be proven), on top of it you do save a nice bit of money.

Go with AMD atm, they are the way to go imo. You get a socket that isn't changing out soon and you get a processor that will handle all your needs and has a rumored smoothness to it compared to the intel counterpart (yet to be proven), on top of it you do save a nice bit of money.

I agree with the socket point, but we havent heard much about the next AMD cpus anyway. Anyway when a Q6600 outperforms (clock for clock) any AMD cpu and is less expensive than the 9950, and can overclock more (well before the recent batch), it makes it a pretty hard arguement.

My vote is for a Q6700 (will beat a X4 9950) or if you want to spend alot of cahs a Q9550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom