About to build first PC - couple questions before i start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyllus

Solid State Member
Hi there, any help on this would be really appreciated. :)

I ordered my new PC build a few days ago and it should be coming tomorrow.
I just have a couple questions before i start putting the components together.

The first one is in regards to the dangers of static electricity on computer components, and the second one is about the order in which to install/update OS, drivers, BIOS, etc.

1. What sort of precautions would you guys suggest to avoid damaging my components with static electricity? Ive been told to touch the metal part of the case every so often, however some people say the power supply should be inserted into the case then plugged into the wall socket (but switched off) and some people say it just shouldn't be plugged into the wall at all. Not sure which is right? :confused:

2. Once everything is put together where do i start in regards to installing software? I am going to be using Windows 7 RC (i pressume i put this on DVD). But before i install the OS, ive been told that i have to update the BIOS and install motherboard drivers. How do i do any of this without an OS? I'm just really confused as to what order i install software once the PC is put together.

Again i would very much appreciate any help on this.

Cheers

Alex

for static just make sure not to build in a carpeted area if you can avoid it. touch the case periodically to release any static you may have. I build with the psu unplugged from the wall.

for order of updates and drivers. Get the newest from your boards manufacturer or from you vid card's website.

1) chipset drivers.
2) lan drivers
3) go online and update windows
4) gpu drivers
5) after that the rest of the drivers you need in no particular order until you have no remaining uninstalled devices in device manager.

The idea to have the PSU in and plugged in is just that it will be grounded. Static electricity isn't really a big deal though. You'd just be an unlucky ******* to fry a component with static electricity. Touch your case before you touch each component and you'll be fine.

You don't ever have to update the BIOS unless there is a particular feature in a new version that you want, or unless you are having problems that a new BIOS version will fix. Don't mess with it if you aren't sure what you're doing, because you have a chance of bricking your board.

Once you get the PC built, go into the BIOS setup and change the essentials. This includes the clock/date, making sure the RAM voltage is correct, turning stuff like Intel SpeedStep off if you want, etc. And also make sure CDROM is the first boot device. Then just load in your OS CD and reboot, and start installing. Once that is installed, install your drivers in the way hefe said.

Thanks for the help guys. Built the PC yesterday and its up and running with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom