These components seem OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaughtiusMaximus

Beta member
Hey folks I'm thinking of putting together my next PC to replace the 7 year old machine I'm using now. Mostly I'm looking to save a little money over a pre-built machine by only getting the components that i need. I don't really see myself overclocking or anything so am mostly looking for components that will play nice together right out of the box without TOO much tweaking. Anyway here is what i was thinking:

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model AW-Q170A-B2

Antec Sonata III Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Atech Flash Xm-4U 11-in-1 USB 2.0

And I'm going to use an nVidia 7600GT video card i have from an old machine. You guys see any compatibility issues with those components or anything that i'm missing? It's going to be a dual boot machine (Windows/Linux) thus the two harddrives. I'd like it to be able to play new games but it's not a total gaming machine. I mostly will use it as a day to day machine as well as for semi-serious photo editing.

Anyway any thoughts would be much appreciated before i pull the trigger on this stuff.

Thanks!
Chris

Hey NaughtiusMaximum
Welcome-to-TF.png

Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

^^^These parts are better recommended.

THANKS for the advice. I meant to get a P35 board but just messed up on that one. What's the reason for the processor recommendation though? Is it just a cost vs performance issue? Or does the Q6600 perform better?

Thanks!
Chris

EDIT: Most programs won't take advantage of the quad core right? So is it mostly for running several apps simultaneously? Does photoshop CS2 take advantage of multiple cores?

CS3 is optimized for multiple cores. I've noticed it loads SO much faster than CS2 on my Q6600. Before I switched to the Quad, they loaded about the same amount of time on my old PentiumD. I also agree with getting the P35 chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom