RAM Upgrade

aimo3

In Runtime
I've got 2 laptops. Each laptop has a single RAM module with another empty slot. Both are DDR3 and differ in frequency and other details. I've taken the below screenshots.

My question is: what is the criteria for adding another RAM module to the original one? Do they have to be the same in everything or what are the important things to consider?

Attachments

• OM.png
    OM.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 3
  • MU.png
    MU.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 2
I've got 2 laptops. Each laptop has a single RAM module with another empty slot. Both are DDR3 and differ in frequency and other details. I've taken the below screenshots.

My question is: what is the criteria for adding another RAM module to the original one? Do they have to be the same in everything or what are the important things to consider?

Ideally you would match the RAM exactly, so buy another of the same module that is already in each laptop.

In reality so long as you buy another module of DDR3 that is compatible with your laptop, it should be fine, even if it is not the exact same as the one in your laptops currently. If one stick of RAM is faster than the other, they usually just downclock so they are both the same speed, and with typical laptop workloads you're not going to notice at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom