P4 or Celeron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalala123

Baseband Member
I have a old p4 1.5ghz socket 478 400fsb computer.
It is very slow now. I tried to find a faster 400fsb p4 but the price for them are outrageous. it is more expansive than a pD.

My pc's mobo can only take 400fsb p4 and celeron 400fsb.

Celeron is much cheaper so i was thinking maybe i will get this one to replace the one i have now. Which is 1.5ghz p4

Model: Intel Celeron 2.8
FSB: 400MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/128K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478

The only P4 processor that i found around the same price as the Celeron above is 2.2 ghz

I know the celeron is the low end cpu compare to p4 and others but it is also the cheapest.

The computer is not used for any gaming at all. It is just used for word processing, internet, and mostly watching movies.

Which one will perform better ? the Celeron 2.8ghz or 2.2ghz P4?

I know i am comparing oranges and apples but can someone please tell me which one should i get?

I am relatively a new member to this forum but does anybody have a 2.6/2.8ghz 400fbs p4 that are welling to sell to me?

Thank you

I with go with Celeron 2.8Ghz

P4 has more cache memory but I don't think that more cache memory makes a huge difference in terms of performance.

The 2.8 would do you just fine if you are only doing light computing (which is what you said).

The difference between the P4s and the Celerons is the onboard cache, or memory. The P4s have a full cache, while the Cellys have either a half or a fourth that of the P4s. this means that it has to get instructions more frequently, thus producing results a little slower than a P4 at the same speed.

so the only difference between p4 and celeron is the amount of cache they have?

I read some were that Celeron have its cache disabled. Why would intel disable it? wouldn't it be worth more if it was enabled?

Or by disable do they mean it is not there?

thank you

Cellys are P4s that didn't pass the muster. So Intel sets the cache at the Celly level and sells 'em to still make a profit.

Cellys are P4s that didn't pass the muster. So Intel sets the cache at the Celly level and sells 'em to still make a profit.

I see. thank you Trotter.

Just some more question.

The pc i have now was very fast when i got it 6 years ago. but now even after i did the low level formate and reinstalled the OS the pc is still slower than before. I even upgraded the RAM from 256 to 512mb.

Could the Hardrive be a cause to make the pc go slower?

Would a faster hardrive make the pc to perform better? the one i have now is about 5000RPM and if i get the 7200RPM will i notice a different in the performance of the pc? like when i open up a word program or firefox?

Would a more powerfull power supply increase the performance of my pc too? I added something things like RAM,USB2.0 card, video card to the pc since i got it. Could there be a power shortage? because i noticed the lite on the front of the pc is dimer when the pc is at full load.

Is there a way to check to see if the power supply i have now is not enough?

Is there a software that i can use to check to see if there is anything wrong with the Hard drive?

Thank you

A 7200RPM drive is definitely faster than a 5000+/- one. But the difference would be in access time, not in normal running.

It's doubtful that you are pulling too much on the PSU. Usually one gets errors when this begins to occur.

Odds are you PC either seems slower because you have used faster systems, or you are experienceing system slowdown due to things running in the background.

you say you upgraded your RAM, if the RAM , if your mobo doesnt liek yuor ram speeds this could show slower performance. how many stick of RAM you have 2x 256MB? and do you know the speeds of them? need help finding out use CPU-z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom