NVMe SSD uses PCIE lanes therefore reduces the 16x link for GFX Card?

GreenMachine

In Runtime
Hi,

Would someone please help clarify this answer for me? I want to ensure I won't be taking away precious performance (PCIE lanes) from my 1080 TI GFX card. Will it?

I've been looking at upgrading from my single SSD (my current boot drive, 850 evo 250 gb) to an NVMe PCIE SSD (I can get a bios upgrade to support NVMe).

Mobo User Manual: http://asrock.nl/downloadsite/Manual/Z87 Extreme6.pdf

Manual References: PCIe topology = doc page 12 | PCIe configurations = doc page 26

Thanks!

Edit: The more I stare at this the more I think the ssd will take 4 lanes from the x16 slot for the 1080 ti.

Last edited:
Due to the nature of the platform, anything using a PCI-E slot unless a 1.0 1x card (like a sound card) will utilize 3.0 lanes and automatically drop th 16x slot to 8x. You won't notice a difference unless you're using a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Due to the nature of the platform, anything using a PCI-E slot unless a 1.0 1x card (like a sound card) will utilize 3.0 lanes and automatically drop th 16x slot to 8x. You won't notice a difference unless you're using a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Great! And thanks for the response.

Can you expand on it won't make a difference between 8x and 16x lanes for a gfx card?

We already know this :p

I ran my Titan X's in 16x mode on a 3960x without a reduction in performance which means 8x 3.0 wouldn't bottleneck a 1080ti. PCI-E 2.0 16x is the same bandwidth as 3.0 8x.

Back
Top Bottom