need a better way to backup

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
ive been using internal drives for storage and backup but after 3 failed Seagate drives I think I need a better way to backup important files

first.

what 4tb internal drive should I get that's reliable?

I looked through some charts and seems like Seagate is still lagging behind and hitachi seems to have least failures

then should I still go internal or get a pci card and have an external base that I can remove the drives on the fly and add them if needed

I need about 4tb drive so it last a while without getting full

usb3 or sata plug better for external backup drives

ive been using internal drives for storage and backup but after 3 failed Seagate drives I think I need a better way to backup important files

first.

what 4tb internal drive should I get that's reliable?

I looked through some charts and seems like Seagate is still lagging behind and hitachi seems to have least failures
If you're talking about those stupid Backblaze articles...don't pay attention to those, because they're **** and not trustworthy at all.

then should I still go internal or get a pci card and have an external base that I can remove the drives on the fly and add them if needed

I need about 4tb drive so it last a while without getting full

usb3 or sata plug better for external backup drives

Just get a NAS and run it through gigabit ports.

Also, if you want true backups...you have a local backup that you run once in a while, and then you also mirror that backup to somewhere off-site (e.g. some kidn of cloud storage service).

yea I'm looking at that webpage.

is there a specific model that has proven itself as reliable

4tb

The Backblaze article uses refurb Seagate drives in terrible conditions while used in terrible structures they built. Although I've had no real issues with Seagate drives like others I have moved to HGST. My 6TB is the fastest spinner drive I have in the whole house.

I just had my last Seagate drive fail on me..

4 out of 4 Seagate drives I owned has failed.

none of the WD drives have failed yet.
and everywhere I look Seagate drives fail at pretty high rates at least the ones from late 2000s maybe now they have improved but few years ago they had a lot of people complaining about drive failures. I'm staying away from Seagate now.

hgst seems to have good reviews everywhere

HGST is a relatively new brand though, piggybacking off Hitachi which in earlier years was....**** tbh. Every single one of my Seagate drives have survived including a fabled 1.5TB which is one from the bad batch. I'm not really sure how people are killing these drives because I honestly do nothing to help protect my drives like most people.

That being said, all of my drives from now on will be HGST if that's any worth.

what about NAS would that work as a good backup option and also give me acess to my files?
I didn't think about that at first

Well a NAS is just a computerized box with a gigabit port (or two) and a simple GUI to run it. Most you can buy are diskless systems and the others that come preloaded you take what they give you.

Back
Top Bottom