Motherboard broke, need assistance choosing a new one without losing my files.

filipfilip

Beta member
So I currently have a P5N32-E SLI motherboard which broke last night. After taking it into the store I was told that I could either buy a similar/same motherboard and keep everything on my computer or get a new one and wipe it all.
I opted to keep my files etc.
Since my current/ex motherboard is very old and hard to purchase, any help on which similar models which would withstand modern gpus/processors would be appreciated.
Any reply would help,
thanks

There aren't any similar models as that stuff is about 10 years old now. If you're lucky you could find another 680i, 750i, 780i board or P45 on Ebay/Amazon but ideally you should probably upgrade. All of your files will be on the HDD regardless of what your platform is. The issue is whether or not Windows will tolerate the platform upgrade or not. If you have another computer or a friend that could help I suggest backing up your stuff before continuing with any COA.

Ah ok, considering my computer wont launch as the motherboard is currently not working, If I got a completely new motherboard would that wipe my files and data? I'm ok with this reset as long as thats one of the correct options forward.
Thanks

Last edited:
No, your files won't be wiped. Worst case scenario is when you install new gear Windows will blue screen while trying to boot. That's why I said use another computer if possible to get your files by plugging in your HDD and copying over any data you want just in case you need to reinstall Windows. The only way you'll lose info on your drive is if you do a format at any time.

What version of Windows are you using?

No, your files won't be wiped. Worst case scenario is when you install new gear Windows will blue screen while trying to boot. That's why I said use another computer if possible to get your files by plugging in your HDD and copying over any data you want just in case you need to reinstall Windows. The only way you'll lose info on your drive is if you do a format at any time.

+1 to this.

Back
Top Bottom