Mixed RAM timings

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
It has been a very long time since I have had to bother with RAM timings soI am basically clueless at the moment.

I have ended up basically giving up half of my RAM (2x8GB) for my wife's computer because none of the others I have tried worked with her board. Go figure. Anyway, I am going to order myself replacements but the exact model I have now goes for 130 for a 16GB set, whereas another almost identical set is selling for 80. The difference? Mine is 16-18-18 and the other is 16-20-20. Same speeds, same voltage.

I am thinking my mobo will take it and keep on chugging if I get the new set. Will I need to play with the BIOS or not? Will the different timings cause issues?

Shouldn't cause any issues. Most mobo's (with Auto on) will set the ram timings to the slowest sticks. Of course you can always play around with the timings in the bios to see if you can match, but if your happy with the results, then why bother. BUT you may not get quad channel if it can be supported. (Last I read, kits all had to match)

On a lighter note... Happy Father's day old man... May you have many, many more!

Shouldn't cause any issues. Most mobo's (with Auto on) will set the ram timings to the slowest sticks. Of course you can always play around with the timings in the bios to see if you can match, but if your happy with the results, then why bother. BUT you may not get quad channel if it can be supported. (Last I read, kits all had to match)

On a lighter note... Happy Father's day old man... May you have many, many more!
No quad on X570, only dual and they don't.

Basically just set timings manually to the slower set and you're good.

Those early AMD Zen boards were very fussy about memory, I've had a couple that just had a coronary about memory, no matter the manufacture. I have noticed as of late that getting the latest bios for your AMD board can help with memory issues
(if that helps at all)

Back
Top Bottom