Looking to upgrade CPU, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedebut

Beta member
Hello all,

Currently looking to update my CPU, using a AMD X2 64 4400+ at the moment. Problem is i recently purchased a decent graphics card and im getting poor performance in the game that i play mainly, world of warcraft. I am told that WoW demands more from your cpu than my gfx card and that my cpu is actually bottlenecking my card. My card is an 8800gts 512.

On a tight budget of around 100 pounds wandered if i could upgrade my cpu for this money and notice a decent performance increase?

Thanks alot

The 89w 6000+ X2 model not the 125w 6000+ or 6400+ X2s would see the jump to 3.14ghz for the 6000+ and 3.2ghz for the 6400+. The 89w version of the 6000+ would also see the jump to the 3ghz mark while not only running cooler if you have an AM2/AM2+ board but see a lower price. A move like that would notice a difference.

AMD X2 64 4400+ card is an 8800gts 512.

Your computer should be able to get PLENTY of FPS in WoW. The reason your probably getting poor performance could be too many add ons. Or maybe you have like tons of programs running in the background you are unaware of. But your CPU and Graphics card are PLENTY for WoW.

I played WoW on w Pentium 3 with ONBOARD GRAPHICS!!!

Well it's funny you say that, because i have tried just about everything to improve my fps and have been told its my cpu. Anyway, i do get really decent FPS it's just in raids and when people are around me i get like 10-15.

Since the X2 4400+ is only at about 2.3ghz you could try over clocking. Rich has a Socket 939 X2 3800+ and got it up to 2.9ghz. So you should be able to over clock at least as high as Rich has.

But if you know NOTHING about over clocking. Then you could go with this CPU instead.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

It should be able to handle WoW even with TONS of people.

This is an X2 4800+ @Stock speeds playing WoW

YouTube - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ WoW starting

Thanks alot for your help, was just wandering about my problems, i know its a bit off topic but is it possible theres something else holding back my computer performance because the CPU isn't THAT bad like you said and my gfx card is really nice, but it plays horribly in raids/cities. I'm sure i don't have any viruses and even with 0 addons on it's the same shizzle.

Do you have a AM2 or Skt 939 board? If you have a socket 939 you will need to get a compatible motherboard for the processors suggested. But if you have a AM2 board then you're fine.

Get this:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

It runs way cooler than a 6000+ and can easily reach it's speeds. It has a unlocked multiplier and is real easy to overclock, even if you don't know that much about overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom