looking for a heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugabooz

In Runtime
My pentium 4 530 Prescott version is running at around 50C idle, and 64-68C under load. I would like to get those temperatures down, as they seem quite high. I also wouldnt mind doing a slight overclock. Can anyone recommend a good heatsink for socket 775? Also I'm from canada, so I'm looking to buy from tigerdirect.ca. Im not sure that this really matters, but my motherboard is the asus P5NSLI, so please make sure it will fit. thanks you

are you using the Stock Cooler?

get yourself Zalman Cu_AL (Copper Aluminium) heatsink 92MM fan will be OK.

::: Zalman :::

I could have recommended a Copper only heat sink, but their weight is hefty. so a mix is appropriate at 500g, which still is within the limits of CPU and Motherboard manufacturers.

the cooling wont only effect on the quality and material of heatsink, but also on the material that you will be putting in between CPU DIE and Heatsink. better get yourself Arctic silver (i don't know their latest version), and try to level the compound as thin as possible, as the purpose of the compound is just to fill in air pockets b/w contact surfaces. in 100% ideal scnerio , the contact b/w CPU and Heat sink should be 100%, which is not possible. so thermal compounds come into place.

check other similar models on zalman's website, as some are even lighter. and also, before finalising purchase, do check your mother board compatibility. (they have lists on their website)

Yes, I am using the stock cooler. I cant seem to find that coolers anywhere in canada. Altho I am really hoping to use tigerdirect. When applying the thermal paste, should you flanten it with you finger? or let it flaten when the heatsink is pressed against it? Do i really neeed the arctic silver? Or would any brand do? Thanks

arctic silver cointains minute metal particles, metal being best source of thermal conductivity remains better.

DO NOT USE FINGER. as the body oils stick to the surfaces. while you need absolute clean surfaces to stick thermal compound on. if you dont want to use Arctic silver, then don't. fan will be supplied with paste anyway. use a credit card / plastic to evenly spread the material across. (i think zalman will provide that plastic too). but, they might wont provide you with cleaner. so, see if you find "isopropyl alcohol" from hardware store. or i think from chemist/pharmacist, use that to clean surface of CPU, and better the surface of heat sink too.

the thinner and evenly spread surface of the paste is, better contact b/w two metal surfaces and less chance of air bubbles trapping b/w. in some cases. its recommended that once you have placed the fan/heatsink over the cpu/paste. twist it clock wise and then anti-clockwise slightly so that to get rid of any air-bubbles trapped.

it will take 2-3 days for the thermal paste to get into the cracks of surfaces. and best is, to run-in cpu for 15 minutes at 80% or more, then cool it down on normal air (say 2 hours), start the process again. and then your paste will be baked ready for optimal heat transfer.

should you find the surface of the CPU slightly rough, then clean it first using alcohol (cotton bud is better choice) and then, drop a grain of paste on the surface and wrap around your finger (a clean plastic bag) and start rubbing the paste on the surface in circular motion and in 2-3 mins later, use card/hard plastic to remove the access to make the surface plain. you can at this point as well, use a soft cloth to wipe off any extra paste over surface, but you'll notice that the colour of the surface has changed (in case of slightly rough surfaces) and got a hint of the colour of the thermal paste (weather white or grey). this shows that minute spaces have been filled with micro particles of the paste. i recommend this method in every case and its well worth it.

if your temps don't drop dramatically with a new HSF you shouldn't be doing any overclocking.
you are right at the max operating temp for that processor.
have you cleaned all the fans, blown all the dust out of the case?
i'd do that, and buy some arctic silver 5 and re-seat the stock HSF before purchasing a new one.
it may help drastically.

I know you think i should get a zalman, but i dont see any cpu heatsinks on tigerdirect with good reviews made by them. So i think im going to get this one Thermaltake Silent 775D Socket 775 Copper Core Copper Heatpipes CPU Fan CL-P0378 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
What do you think? Everyone says it works great.

Also my hd2400xt broke and im going to get this card at the same time
EVGA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB GDDR3 SLI Ready PCI Express DVI VGA TV Out Video Card 256-P2-N615-TX in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

I hear great things about the 7600gt, so i think im going to have to get it.

I cant find any arctic silver on tiger, do all heatsinks come with thermal paste.

your fan doesn't looks very promising over stock Intel cooler, as even Intel stock coolers come with copper base and aluminium. i had mentioned earlier, copper is best after steel to dissipate heat, as steel makes too heavy, so i am not aware of any cooler manufacturer using steel in their products, so remains copper, those fans which are 100% copper, are ridiculously heavy (900 grams +). however, as nagasama said, do try to put on Arctic Silver 5 and using same method that i said above, it will definitely help bring down the temp to 3-7c. but, thinking its a Pentium D Processor. forget O/S, as they already have current leakage problem, so O/C it will boost temps up to 15+ degrees.

however, if you are buying TT, then it will come with paste (in white usually), so don't worry getting paste separate.

i got that heatsink and installed it. It lowered the idle temps only by a few degrees, but on load its never reached 60 yet, so im happy. Also i think temperatures might drop when the paste settles in, how many hours does that usually take?

just use it a bit heavily for a little while, then it should set in a couple of hours from what i've heard..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom