Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasmat

Beta member
Hi Friends,

I'm upgrading my old PC and yesterday, i got an intel D865PERL P4 ATX motherboard .
But, my power supply is an old one, ie, a 97 model ASTEC-ATX200-3505 .
Its maximum output power is 200Watts.

And these are the readings written on PSU
+12 v 6A max
+5v 22A max
+3.3v 14A max
-5v 0.5A max
-12v 0.8A max
+5 SB 0.1A max

So,can i use the same power supply for the new P4 motherboard.

And i'm thinking of converting one power cable to the 4 pin eqivalent supply needed for P4 motherboards using an adapter wire.

Only thing is that, wether the overall wattage and this PSU will provide enough power for my new motherboard..

Please reply to this thread...

Power Supply:

What kind of Power Supply is needed for the Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL?
The Desktop Board D865PERL requires an ATX12V compliant power supply to function according to desktop specifications.

Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL - Frequently Asked Questions

Instantly Available PC and Power Supplies:

What kind of power supply do I need for the Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL?
The Desktop Board D865PERL requires a power supply that complies with the ATX/ATX12V Power Supply Design Guide Version 1.2. This design guide is available from http://www.formfactors.org
The ATX12V power supply required for the Desktop Board D865PERL has the standard 20-pin ATX Main Power Connector, and a 4-pin +12V Aux. Power Connector. The 4-pin +12V power connector has been added to enable the delivery of more +12VDC current to the desktop board. This connector is used by the board to power the processor's voltage regulator module (VRM).
CAUTION: The system will not boot if there is a failure to use an ATX12V power supply, or by not connecting additional power supply leads to the D865PERL board.

Do I need a special power supply to support Instantly Available PC (Suspend-to-RAM)? How much +5V standby current does the power supply need to support it?
A special power supply is not needed to support “Instantly Available PC“. However, the power supply must provide enough standby current to support the needs of all wake-capable devices in the system. The more wake-capable devices in the system, the greater the standby current required from the power supply. Intel recommends starting with a power supply capable of providing a minimum of 1.5 Amps (2.0 Amps recommended) of +5V standby current. To be sure, total the amount of standby current required by the various components that can wake the system from the STR state. In your calculations, include the components on the Desktop Board D865PERL and on the add-in cards. Make sure the power supply provides at least that amount of standby current. Refer to the Technical Product Specification for information on how much +5V standby current the on-board components of the Desktop Board D865PERL require.

Unless I'm mistaken, your power supply has 22A max. of +5v standby current available which appears to meet that requirement.

The above info. can be backtracked to these pages:

Frequently asked questions:

Intel® 865 Chipset Family - Chipset information and downloads

Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL - Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL support

The ATX12V compliance guidelines can be found in the following document on page 63:

12 ATX12V Specific Guidelines 2.3

12.1 Typical Power Distribution - RECOMMENDED
DC output power requirements and distributions will vary based on specific system
options and implementation.
Significant dependencies include the quantity and types of processors, memory, add-in
card slots, and peripheral bays, as well as support for advanced graphics or other
features. Figure 22 through Figure 26 shows the power distribution and cross loading
tables for power supplies in the range of 180 W to 450 W. These are recommendations
but it is ultimately the responsibility of the designer to define a power budget for a
given target product and market.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/PSU_DG_rev_1_1.pdf
While these are newer revised guidelines, it seems to indicate that 180 - 450 watts is required for the ATX12V power supply to be compliant, but exactly how much extra wattage is up to the system designer and each system's needs.
You seem to have enough wattage for the motherboard.
From there all that I can say is that if the system boots up and works, then hopefully everything else will work okay too.
Let us know what happens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom